• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wheatear SE Tbilisi (1 Viewer)

BikeandBird

Hi all,

I saw the attached wheatear SE of Tbilisi right at the border with Azerbeijan about a week ago. I always struggle with wheatears when they are not adult males in breeding plumage... (gonna have an interesting time in Iran soon ;)
Can you help me with this one? My best guess was Black-eared.

Thanks in advance,

Leo

Attachments

• IMG_2032.jpg
    IMG_2032.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2025.jpg
    IMG_2025.jpg
    926.1 KB · Views: 63
I'd be sorely tempted to identify this as a PiedxEastern Black-eared hybrid.

The black bridging across to the scaps from the throat suggests some Pied influence to me. This region is a well-known area for hybrids.

Brian
I agree entirely. Looks like more typical of Pied. Without seeing the tail pattern, I don't think that it is clear if there is any EBE at all. Juvs of Pied can look very buffy.almost exactly as per the OP

I agree with your point on hybrids. For example, Chachuna has hybrids, especially of FinschsxPied, although I don't recall seeing any EBE hybrids when I was there.

I agree entirely. Looks like more typical of Pied. Without seeing the tail pattern, I don't think that it is clear if there is any EBE at all. Juvs of Pied can look very buffy.almost exactly as per the OP

I agree with your point on hybrids. For example, Chachuna has hybrids, especially of FinschsxPied, although I don't recall seeing any EBE hybrids when I was there.
I am unaware of a Finsch's x Pied hybrid. This is a Pied x Eastern Black-eared.

Brian

I am unaware of a Finsch's x Pied hybrid. This is a Pied x Eastern Black-eared.

Brian
Sorry Brian, I understand that you are proposing this as a EBExPied.

I only had two points,

I have seen assumed pure Pied looking like this, and only by looking at all the plumage features could separation be settled on. (Can't see some in photos eg Tail)

There are, as you said, plenty of hybrids in the area. Didn't see any except supposed FxP myself

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back