• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

When Kangaroos Attack ! (1 Viewer)

Meat Eating Kangaroos !!!

It turns out that it's not just the extinct Megafauna that had meat eating Macropods ....

Video evidence of a modern day kangaroo eating meat in the wild has been taken:
https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/wildlife/2014/02/video-kangaroo-eats-a-bird/

In a later interview, one large rogue buck kangaroo was heard to say, "What - you think these bear claws are just for grabbing handfuls of grass?, or the missus ?!" :eek!: ;)

Be careful out there folks !! :eek!: :-O

Chosun :gh:

How dangerous are Kangaroos

A short vid by ABC Science programming (kids educational level) includes some good info on Kangaroo psychology :cat:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bHnm0jsO5DY

She says "I hope there are no Kangaroo mating videos because that's just horrendous" ...... lol :-O

That's all they have on their mind! Either mating or bashing you up so that they are ahead of you in the queue ! :eek!:

Big Kangaroo objects to kids playing on vacant blocks ....

"I looked out and all I could see was a cloud of dust and Lewis on the ground being stomped on by a kangaroo,"
https://www.nambuccaguardian.com.au...-dad-tackled-punched-big-roo-to-save-his-son/

I've just cut and pasted this ninemsn report since the links have the annoying habit of disappearing ..... https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/aust...a-kangaroo-mauling-my-kid-to-death/ar-AAG0xwS
'I saw a cloud of dust and a kangaroo mauling my kid to death'

A father has been forced to come between his son and a nearly 2m tall kangaroo after the animal attacked the boy in his backyard in northern NSW.

Five-year-old Lewis Dyer was playing with his older brother in their Valla Beach yard when the kangaroo - an Eastern grey male - attacked.

"I heard the attack and then I saw it – a cloud of dust and a kangaroo mauling my kid to death," Lewis' father Brenton Dyer told 9News.com.au.

"I ran as fast as I could and tackled the thing, and it stood up and tried to have a go. I defended myself, and tried to get distance between me, my son, and the roo."

The local plumber said kangaroos targeted the boys and actually chased after them.

"They just went out of their way to get them."

"We back onto a vacant lot, and Lewis would've only been 10 metres from the house. There were a couple of kangaroos and they just gunned for the boys. They were running away, and Lewis was slower.

"If I wasn't home, he'd be in intensive care or dead. The way the male was attacking him is crazy," Mr Dyer said.

While he has been left shaken, Lewis was lucky to sustain only superficial injuries.

"He was scratched up, and he had a few punctures in his head that got glued up. He was lucky not to lose both of his eyes. It was pretty crazy. He's a tough kid," Mr Dyer said.

As the drought continues, kangaroos are increasingly being pushed into residential areas.

Mr Dyer said he's noticed an increase in numbers around Valla Beach.

"The number of roos have increased because it is dry. Not that I'm calling for a cull, but it feels like there's no shortage of them."

"For them to see a five-year-old kid as a threat, it's scary."

Last edited:
Interesting information on Kangaroo behaviour.
https://environment.des.qld.gov.au/wildlife/animals/living-with/kangaroos

A couple of observations:
* It's not just the dominant male you need to be wary of - I would say that any Kangaroo that you are not significantly bigger than may see you as a target for challenge ....
* I'm not at all sure about the advice to give a 'short cough' when a dominant male is arcing up and has identified you for an *rs* kicking or worse. This needs further research.

-> My recommendation just based on my own personal experience would be to have a chat to the Boomer ! ie. I'm not advocating you walk up to it and ask him how his day is going :cat: -

Rather that as you back well away/ sideways and try to get something between you and the roo, you clearly identify yourself as human - I would use a rapid deliberate forceful (but not challenging) conversational voice of mid-tone, mid-loudness ..... I wouldn't be hysterically yelling, or shrill in anyway (this may be more difficult to accomplish in practice than theory !), and I definitely wouldn't be using deep tones, gruff, or challenging 'booming' !

I would be looking at the roo - but not making direct eye contact - I would also make my body posture non-threatening - and would be saying something along the lines of:

"hey you dopey roo - I'm a human - get out here - go on !"
....... if the encounter is close enough you may find yourself involuntarily blurting this out anyway with a few more choice expletives thrown in !! :eek!:

I post this because with the devastating fires the country is experiencing people may find that contact with Kangaroos at the bush /suburban interface is more frequent as the poor animals desperately search for food and survival. Be careful out there ....

Kangaroos Attack ! ....... Time ...... :D

It seems that kangaroos have been busy doing 'time attacks' on Mt Panorama during the Bathurst 12hr motor race. Several have taken to the track for a series of 'hop laps' ...... lol :-O

Luckily none has come to grief, with practice sessions being stopped as a safety precaution.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6609088/roos-take-the-red-flag-at-bathurst-12-hour/?cs=14231

83885586_2878879488800485_8152391163861532672_o.jpg
Apparently commentators said that this roo was absolutely flying on his 'hop lap' qualy attempt ! 3:)

Last edited:
Team Flying Kangaroo is putting in a great performance at the Bathurst 12hr, leading 1-2 ahead of a field of high $ machinery ...... :king: o:)

Roo-REDFLAG-feed.00_01_14_16.Still006-770x480.jpg

Kangaroo attacks Bundaberg woman who thought she was going to die !

Earlier this year, a Bundaberg woman was attacked by a Kangaroo over perceived loss of 'food resource' - her veggie garden ! :eek!:
See the interview with her here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aNn7BhsCJG4

Especially during times of drought, it seems that Roos can get quite persnickety over food and water sources and territories. Add this to their usual persnicketyness over matin' and territory (safety) rights, and situations can very quickly (and unexpectedly) escalate .....

Be careful out there (and in your backyards too)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back