• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

When will the house finches building a nest outside my window lay eggs? (1 Viewer)

LydiajMoody

United States
Hi again! I want to thank all of the people who have helped me with "house finch questions" and I hope you will answer for this one. So, the house finches have started building a nest outside my window on our porch light. The nest looks almost done now and I was wondering when the female house finch will lay her eggs. I have been waiting for her to lay eggs for a couple of days and there are none yet. -Lydia (Thx!)

I believe they lay eggs from February to August. The female will incubate the eggs for 12-14 days and the young will leave the nest 11-19 days after hatching.

You may find this Opus article interesting.

nice to see I am not alone with nesting house finches. one chick is out of the nest and nearly dead. will the parents still feed the remaining chick? should I remove the dead chick?

Yeah, I would leave the nest alone... however, was the baby bird completely out of the nest? Like, was it a fledgling yet? or just a baby?

Yeah, I would leave the nest alone... however, was the baby bird completely out of the nest? Like, was it a fledgling yet? or just a baby?
The chick out of the nest was still a baby. It appeared to have a wing deformity so it may have been pushed out.

Unfortunately, the other chick was progressing nicely until a squirrel pulled down the nest. Hopefully these parents will try again with a new nest and a better location. I may put up a few bird houses on squirrel resistant poles in my yard for the next nesting season.

Interestingly enough, I discovered that three of the eggs that were there for over three weeks never developed at all.

Thanks for the replies.

The chick out of the nest was still a baby. It appeared to have a wing deformity so it may have been pushed out.

Unfortunately, the other chick was progressing nicely until a squirrel pulled down the nest. Hopefully these parents will try again with a new nest and a better location. I may put up a few bird houses on squirrel resistant poles in my yard for the next nesting season.

Interestingly enough, I discovered that three of the eggs that were there for over three weeks never developed at all.

Thanks for the replies.
Aw, that is too bad. And that sounds like a great idea! You're welcome. 🥰

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back