• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where are all the 8x32 SF reviews? After all the speculation... (1 Viewer)

Here come the bashers! Full of expectation prior to production, that's fine, then being dissapointed with this and that and quick to "evaluate" the binocular to the assembled crowd as a ""could have been better".

I concur that the announcement and timing of the NL probably affected purchases of the SF32 and the resultant panic by some lemmings saw a few hurried cancellations and changes to pre orders.

Now, the baying crowd is seeking fresh blood - why no reviews yet, ( the McDonald's Syndrome ), but meanwhile here's some negatives to satisfy the craving for a while.

It is after all just a new alpha binocular. Here are two more review comments, as per the thread title......

1. Got my 8x32 today - first impression is very positive!!! More perhaps later.

I registered the new SF on Zeiss' website and found that experience a bit less positive - Zeiss now says that the warranty period is generally only 2 years (!) from date of purchase, but if you register, the "extended warranty period" is 3 years. This is valid for products purchased after Dec. 15, 2018.

So definitely gone are the times when we got 10 years warranty on Zeiss binoculars. And since I recently had to send in several of my Zeiss binoculars due to beginning internal fogging (all binos less than 5 years old, so clearly product quality issue), for me the reduced warranty period is not necessarily going to instil a lot of confidence when considering to buy future Zeiss products.

Canip

2. Unbelievable but true--- many years ago it was 30y, more recently 10y, and now it's 2y:
https://www.zeiss.com/consumer-produ...istration.html
This basically means that if you bought a pair of used Zeiss binoculars you would likely have no warranty.
Thanks, Canip, for the heads-up.

Pyrtle:

You were mistaken about such a short warranty, not sure why you posted this. A bad rumor, not needed.

Say you are sorry. :smoke:

Jerry

I have always had trouble with Zeiss binoculars be it the eye cups or the optics. Neither the Conquest HD 8x32 nor Victory 8x25 eye cups worked for me with regard to having enough length to avoid blackouts and I tried two Zeiss 8x42 SF and got an orange crescent reflection along the bottom of the FOV. I never felt Zeiss had the build quality of the other alpha manufacturers either, especially Swarovski. I would try a Zeiss again but I approach them cautiously.

Once again bashing Zeiss after you found your new love?

I only wonder when you'll put up your NL on Ebay. Shouldn't take too long given your previous history.

Hermann

Once again bashing Zeiss after you found your new love?

I only wonder when you'll put up your NL on Ebay. Shouldn't take too long given your previous history.

Hermann
Not bashing just telling it like it is. Just telling my true experiences because other members can maybe relate to them. Sorry, if it seems like bashing! I am just as critical of Swarovski or any other brand if I feel they have a problem. I have "bashed" Swarovski for glare in
the EL 10x32 and 8x32 many times. I am not just picking on Zeiss.

Well I took the eye cups off. The O rings I had were a bit tight, so I cut a 1 1/16 OD x 3/32” O ring and tucked it down into the slot below the threads in the barrels. I then screwed the eye cups back down into them, snugging them plenty enough to keep them tight. The o rings squish down a bit, but still add some height to the eye cups. The third position is now much better for me! Going to head out to the local hay flats down by Cook Inlet to watch some owls that nest down there. Thanks to everyone here, I’m able to give these a second chance.

* After the O ring mod, I am most definitely growing more fond of these. I also put on the Swarovski winged eye cups too, which fit perfectly. I’ve been watching some eagles until well past sun down and the 32’s are definitely holding their own in the very low light. My other complaint about the diopter is a non issue for myself, as I don’t seem to need any correction whatsoever, even in dim light, which is where I normally see a need for adjustment. The 10x in such a light feeling bino is going to take some getting used to. I think the 8x would be more comfortable to use for general birding and such. However for myself, viewing Dall Sheep and Mountain Goats in the alpine are the primary uses, where 10x will be very useful.

Last edited:
SF 32 Warranty Official Confirmation

According to the enclosed warranty card the SF 32 has 10 years warranty.

Jan

Confirming what Jan has already correctly stated, here is an official response from Zeiss:

"The ZEISS Victory SF32 has a 10-year warranty.
We’re sorry for any confusion that might occur in the product registration process. We’re about to change our website soon in order to illustrate the warranty policies for all of our products clearly.

Christian Cramer
Head of Global Service & Customer Care"

Lee

Well I took the eye cups off. The O rings I had were a bit tight, so I cut a 1 1/16 OD x 3/32” O ring and tucked it down into the slot below the threads in the barrels. I then screwed the eye cups back down into them, snugging them plenty enough to keep them tight. The o rings squish down a bit, but still add some height to the eye cups. The third position is now much better for me! Going to head out to the local hay flats down by Cook Inlet to watch some owls that nest down there. Thanks to everyone here, I’m able to give these a second chance.

* After the O ring mod, I am most definitely growing more fond of these. I also put on the Swarovski winged eye cups too, which fit perfectly. I’ve been watching some eagles until well past sun down and the 32’s are definitely holding their own in the very low light. My other complaint about the diopter is a non issue for myself, as I don’t seem to need any correction whatsoever, even in dim light, which is where I normally see a need for adjustment. The 10x in such a light feeling bino is going to take some getting used to. I think the 8x would be more comfortable to use for general birding and such. However for myself, viewing Dall Sheep and Mountain Goats in the alpine are the primary uses, where 10x will be very useful.
I am happy to hear that the suggested fix has worked for you. As for watching mountain goats, Denco should be able to advise you....

Confirming what Jan has already correctly stated, here is an official response from Zeiss:

"The ZEISS Victory SF32 has a 10-year warranty.
We’re sorry for any confusion that might occur in the product registration process. We’re about to change our website soon in order to illustrate the warranty policies for all of our products clearly.

Christian Cramer
Head of Global Service & Customer Care"

Lee

Lee,
It had to be 10y warranty, otherwise the SF binoculars would be much less appealing to customers, the problem was that the warranty info on Zeiss website is ambiguous.
Peter

Lee,
It had to be 10y warranty, otherwise the SF binoculars would be much less appealing to customers, the problem was that the warranty info on Zeiss website is ambiguous.
Peter

Indeed, hence Zeiss have said they will amend the website to make it clearer.

Lee

Hi from Italy
If you want i've published a Zeiss SF 8x32 on my youtube channel (with english subtitles)

I have the ZEISS SF 8x32 here with me along with other binoculars. If you want to ask me anything, I'll try to answer you in my bad English
Ciao
Piergiovanni

Hi from Italy
If you want i've published a Zeiss SF 8x32 on my youtube channel (with english subtitles)

I have the ZEISS SF 8x32 here with me along with other binoculars. If you want to ask me anything, I'll try to answer you in my bad English
Ciao
Piergiovanni

So I’ve been evaluating the 10x32 SF, after making an o ring adjustment to the eye cups. Comparing to a 8.5x42 EL, the view is not as neutral, showing more of a green color cast. Also the rolling ball effect or whatever you want to describe it as, is a lot more pronounced in the SF.
My questions for you with both 8x in hand is 3 part.
1: Differences in color cast between the two.
2: Rolling ball effect and general ease of use on your eyes.
3: The obvious question.. glare between the two.

Thanks!

Pyrtle:
You were mistaken about such a short warranty, not sure why you posted this. A bad rumor, not needed.
Say you are sorry. :smoke:
Jerry

Heh Jerry,
Nothing to apologise for, wasn't me that OPed the 2 year warranty misunderstanding; twas Canip and PeterP, I just forwarded it on as another example of product bashing. The warranty was always 10 years and in the box, as mine was. Anyhows, it's been cleared up.
Stay cool dude.

ps. Thankfully no one is mentioning "Green Ham" yet. I enjoy my 42mm SF, but still love, yes love the old 8 × 32 FL.

Hi from Italy

Ciao
Piergiovanni
Clao. Nice video review on youtube. The scenery is beautiful! It makes me want to visit Italy! The Zeiss 8x32 SF performed very well it seems. It is a little larger than I imagined it would be but it is still quite a bit smaller than the SF 8x42. Any glare problems with the little Zeiss in that bright sun? Thanks!

Last edited:
Clao. Nice video review on youtube. The scenery is beautiful! It makes me want to visit Italy! The Zeiss 8x32 SF performed very well it seems. It is a little larger than I imagined it would be but it is still quite a bit smaller than the SF 8x42. Any glare problems with the little Zeiss in that bright sun? Thanks!

You don't know it yet, but your subconscious already has thoughts about replacing your glare-affected NL with the SF 8x32.....

For what it's worth, I've been using the 10x32s for c6 weeks. First impression was how bright the image was - it felt brighter than my 10x32 ELs (not the latest model - whichever ones were around in 2013). Haven't done a proper comparison / test with them but noticed some differences. The diopter issued mentioned is a non issue for me as I've not needed to adjust them and so far using the eye cups in the 4th position so can't comment on the blackout. I find the focusing wheel is fast and smooth and better than my ELs which were sometimes stiff. The rain guard is flimsy but it fits and does the job - the Swarovski one annoyed me and didn't seem to fit well. Finding them good to hold and use for long periods of time. Can hold them steadier which is good. They've been a joy to use so am glad I did give in and order them!

Hi Amy, six weeks of use is worth a good deal, it means you`v had the time to form a reasoned view of them.

Good to read your thoughts.

John.

I am currently enjoying my SF 8x32 but to report now would only be to repeat aspects of my earlier review so I will wait until December after we return from a month on the Isle of Islay to report further.

Lee

My pair of these arrived today in 8x32 format. I recently sold the 8x32 EL's to try these out. I am familiar with the 10x42 SF and Zeiss here seems to have made a 32mm version of that binocular. Sharpness is outstanding and the color hue is indeed biased toward yellow. But that makes a nice addition to the collection. Build is terrific. Weight is more than the EL's - you can feel it, but the balance makes up for it. They are slightly bigger too.

I am posting because I am a person affected by the Swaro 32mm glare issue. These come close to providing a glre-free substitute for those otherwise beloved bins.

I wear glasses and with the eyecups all the way down have an easy view to obtain and hold.

I hope this helps some folks. I highly recommend these, but if I was not glare-affected by the Swaro's, I would probably stick with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back