• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Where can I see this owl (NOT asking about LEOs and stuff) in the UK? (2 Viewers)

jqmhelios

Hello,
I would like to perhaps ask about any places where I could observe tawny owls. I know where to see barn owls and short-eared owls very easily, and little owl is more difficult but doable for me. I am not asking about long-eared owls at all.
Does anyone know any good places where I could see them, ideally close to Ely?
Thanks!

jqmhelios

Eh, regardless, for those interested:
Little owls are well-known basically everywhere, at Wicken Fen too. Staff can provide more details there
I've heard tawny owls are very reliable and often seen in Cambridge. They are nomadic but appear in places like Castle Hill, where it was heard a short while ago.
Short-eared owls are nomadic, there is a chance they can still turn up at Burwell Fen but so far, not yet.
Barn owls are really good at Lakenheath Fen, staff can advise you there
Long-eared owls are reliably roosting at Deeping Lakes in the winter, on the island. the island is inaccessible so the birds aren't susceptible to disturbance and can be easily observed...if you know where to look, of course!

Users who are viewing this thread