• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Where have the blue tits gone? (1 Viewer)

During the spring I noticed that a couple of blue tits kept making trips back and forth from the back garden to my downstairs neighbour's window. I believe they were nesting in / around the bathroom window vent (from outside it looked like there was a crack in the vent). The blue tits seemed to be busy all day, though in the last month (maybe more) I haven't seen them at all. Does anyone know if blue tits typically leave their nesting sites once the chicks have fledged? I enjoyed seeing them and have been wondering where they are.

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Many Blue Tit nests failed this year due to the cold wet weather during May. I was fearing I'd see no youngsters this year, but they did come eventually a couple of weeks ago, when 5 suddenly appeared at my window feeder.

Sorry, though, I'm really not sure what happened to your Blue Tits... the adults will bring them to what they think is a reliable food source (my feeders), but I'm not sure where they nest.

You can read more about these delightful birds in our Opus article here: Eurasian Blue Tit - BirdForum Opus

Many Blue Tit nests failed this year due to the cold wet weather during May. I was fearing I'd see no youngsters this year, but they did come eventually a couple of weeks ago, when 5 suddenly appeared at my window feeder.

Sorry, though, I'm really not sure what happened to your Blue Tits... the adults will bring them to what they think is a reliable food source (my feeders), but I'm not sure where they nest.

You can read more about these delightful birds in our Opus article here: Eurasian Blue Tit - BirdForum Opus
That is a shame, I'd almost forgotten about the May weather this year. It's like they've just disappeared. I'd also been watching the magpies going in and out of their nest (in a tree across the road from me). I'm not sure how many chicks they had, but I've seen a magpie with a distinctive white marking on its head that I hadn't seen before, and sometimes it seems to follow the other magpies about.
Hopefully the blue tits are okay, it looked like they were working so hard all the days for their little nest!

Thank you for the link :)

Kits

Picture Picker
We had blue tits nesting in our nest box and they were successful in raising seven chicks. Our garden is full of them visiting our feeders. We often have 15+ blue tits in the garden so I'm sure other blue tits nested in our trees and shrubs.

jogresh

Registered nutjob
I was doing a survey 2 days ago and i noticed (nearly missed them) a family party of Blue Tits feeding in the canopy of a fairly tall Willow, perhaps 15 feet up. No begging calls, no contact calls, totally silent - and very little movement. :)

Users who are viewing this thread