• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where in the world? (1 Viewer)

sandrinhalee

bird happy
Hi everyone,

This is a reeeeallly general question, as I'm suddenly in this strange but wonderful situation where I (an American) need to be out of the U.S. for 2 weeks for tax purposes (to meet the 330-day foreign income exclusion standard) and my work is willing to pay my ticket up to a certain amount to anywhere, though I myself am on a limited budget for actual tours and accommodation.

I'm an amateur but very eager birder. Where should I go? Oh where? What's your favorite worldwide destination?

Perhaps this is politically incorrect to admit, but I am more interested in places that have lots of different kinds of birds, not in hunting down a single rare elusive bird that I might not get to see after driving hours and days to hunt it down (have been known to sit down and ugly-cry in such a situation -- am I the only one?). Also more interested in a tropical or safari type destination, as I've birded mostly in the US and Europe. But not crazy expensive.

Looking forward to suggestions! Thank you all!
---S.

Easy traveling and very good price level is in Thailand.
Most different birds are in Kaeng Krachan nationalpark.
120 km away ist Laem Pak Bia/ Pak Tale with chance of Spoon billed Sandpiper and a good choice of other waders.
Even in Bangkok is a variety of different birds.

In Thailand You can hire a car or travel via taxi or public transport.
If You have to travel trough Bangkok, the best time is late sunday morning to early afternoon.

Argentina is also easy to travel, but car is needed, if You like to travel over the big country.
More than 400 birds in one month is easy to find.
There are also different birds spots near Iguazu.
Maybe car is not needed if You ask Guy Cox or in Karadya.

Do you have to take the two weeks away at a particular time of year? This could greatly effect your choice, as to where is good to visit at that time of year.

Last edited:
I am eyeing South Africa right now, are there any specific suggestions?

The entire country is superb, Kruger an easy and spectacular introduction, but equally on a two-week trip could also go into KwaZulu or Cape Province (for Cape Province, combine with Kruger by adding internal flights from Jo'burg to Cape Town, about 55 euro on Kulula)

With Galapagos!

South Africa is very easy to do and very cost effective right now.

A

If cost is an issue, then save Galapagos for later. Renting a cheap vehicle and base yourself in Mindo but spend some of the time in higher, some in lower elevation is one option. Or use public transport to go from one lodge to another, saving the cost of vehicle but adding more expensive lodging.

Niels

I'm with Niels. Ecuador is a good idea.

In addition to the Mindo area you could also go to Loja/Podocarpus or one of the Napo lodges.

I'd suggest that for a beginner, a country where the birding involves lots of open country birding with masses of easily seen birds (eg South Africa) would be more rewarding than a country where most of the birding is dense forest where you need to be an experienced birder to get good looks at most of the birds (eg a lot of neotropical birding destinations)

Easy traveling and very good price level is in Thailand.

Your comment on price is interesting, it's expensive in Thailand now by Asian standards at 45 Baht to £1, it was 70 for 1 when I started to visit the place!

If you enjoy the odd beer as I do, in many places in Thailand it's costs more for a beer than my home City in the UK.

A

Last edited:
In Kaeng Krachan Nationalpark I payd 50 Bath for hot meal with drink.
So it means for lunch and dinner, little bit more than £1 !
If You drink local beer, which is not bad, it is not to expensive.
Further it is very warm in the country, so tent is very good for staying over night.
Generally I prefer tent, because I wake up by bird songs.
But in cold an rainy countries it is not convienient.

I am eyeing South Africa right now, are there any specific suggestions?

Kaeng Krachen / Laem Pak Bia area is amazing in winter - I haven't been in July but it doesn't sound as good. South Africa is a good choice. I'd go from Johannesburg through the drakensbergs to Lesotho then to Mkuze game reserve (for black rhino) also Ndumo Game Reserve then drive the length of the Kruger all the way to punda maria/pafuri etc...

For July I would say East Africa - Kenya, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Uganda would be perfect, Borneo perhaps and I would also highly recommend Ecuador.

Another vote for Argentina: amazing variety if you travel between Iguazu, BA and the Chaco/Andes in the northwest.
Or if you fancy somewhere warm, safe, cheap and with loads of easy to see birds try Sabah (Malaysian Borneo).

J

Nohatch - Going off on a bit of a tangent but I'm personally very interested in going to Borneo. I would be very interested to hear more about how cheap it is to do and what birds are easy there.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back