• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to see and possibly photograph Rosy finches? (1 Viewer)

GrandNagus50

I am participating in a "Colorado chicken bird photo tour" in April (2021). I would love to see and possibly photograph rosy finches. Any of them. I found information about a well-known spot in Wildernest that became out of bounds for birders because of privacy issues. Are there any spots where one has a pretty good chance of encountering these pretty little birds and where birders are still reasonably welcome?

Ebird and the Colorado Audubon Society should be your friend in this. Also a quick search online shows St. Mary’s, and Alice.

I have bird feeders that attract Rosies. All species. Brown-capped are the most common, then Greys, then Blacks. However, this winter my typical "flock" of hundreds has dwindled to just a sporadic handful. Over the last 20 years there has been a drastic population decline at my feeders. I am not sure if I am competing against other bird feeders but I fear that is not the case. The best time to see them at my feeders is during severe winter storms. Here is a picture I took in 2016. I wanted to attached burlap to the fence to hide it but I injured myself and never pursued (still recovering). PM me and I can let you know if a major winter storm is in the brewing while you are here. There are feeders in the Gunnison Valley that attract Rosies as well.Rosies.jpg

There is a high elevation feeding site at the top of Sam's Knob in Snowmass Ski area. It is currently only lift served but a future expansion looks to possibly be installing a gondola which would allow for foot traffic. I have seen Rosy's there for years, it's a great place to see them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back