• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to sell your Leica NOCTIVID ... ? (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the suggestion, but will not be able to compare with a new NL. By the way, did you find your NL Pure is somewhat larger in overall sizes than your Noctivid?

I don't own them, I have only spent time comparing them in stores and at home. But to answer your question - yes, the NL did feel a bit larger, but not really any heavier. Here's a link to a website that has a photo of them next to each other:

I've always found Leica binoculars pleasingly small, particularly the Ultravid series, of which I still have two; it seems as though Leica bases part of their product strategy around compactness.

Last edited:
I bought a Noctivid 10x42 a few days ago. I used to own a NL Pure 10x42, so I can offer you a quick comparison.

Both are amazing instruments. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. It's a matter of deciding what you're willing to compromise on.

I prefer the Noctivid by far.

PROS:

The Noctivid is a champion at controlling glare. I value glare control because I often glass in challenging lighting conditions (i.e during sunrise/sunset). No Swarovski I've owned (NL Pure, CL, EL) comes close.

The Noctivid provides a beautiful, contrasty image - slightly warmer to my eyes than the cooler/more neutral color cast in the NL Pure. This is a matter of taste.

I prefer the chunkier form-factor of the Noctivid - more 'meat' to wrap my hands around. The tapered barrels on the NL Pure are more impressive in theory than in reality (to me anyway). I found them a little too thin. The Noctivid is more compact than the NL Pure, which is also nice.

I like the slower focusing knob in the Noctivid. Fast focus knobs aren't for me. I don't observe fast-moving subjects, so I prefer a slower/heavier focusing mechanism that is less prone to being accidentally bumped.

I like the heftiness of the Noctivid, and the overall build quality. The eye cups are more minimalistic than the ones in the NL Pure, and less susceptible to failure. The rubber armor is more durable than Swarovski's rubber armoring. If you want a 'tough' pair of binos, you can't go wrong with a Noctivid.

CONS:

The Noctivid suffers from CA (chromatic aberration) - even in the center of the image. The NL Pure leaves the Noctivid in the dust in this area. No contest.

The Noctivid isn't as well balanced as the NL Pure.

The focus knob placement on the Noctivid kinda sucks. A bit too high.

The NL Pure has a greater FOV.

COMPROMISES:

I can live with CA, especially if it means I can get a binocular that is almost immune to glare.

I'm not all that fussed about a massive FOV - it looks better on paper than in reality. Once your eyes have adapted to the greater FOV of the NL Pure, the novelty will wear off, and it'll only become noticeable if you compare it (side-by-side) with a binocular with a narrower FOV.

I value simplicity and durability more than a perfectly positioned focusing knob and better balance.

Last edited:
I'm not a collector, but I've tried both instruments. The view is COMPLETELY different. So are the ergos, actually.

I would be very careful when going from one to the other, figures don't tell the story. The same is true actually if one throws the SF into the ring with them. It's a bit like comparing a seafood meal to a steak and to broiled chicken - they're all food, but not exactly the same experience.

Edmund

I'm not a collector, but I've tried both instruments. The view is COMPLETELY different. So are the ergos, actually.

I would be very careful when going from one to the other, figures don't tell the story. The same is true actually if one throws the SF into the ring with them. It's a bit like comparing a seafood meal to a steak and to broiled chicken - they're all food, but not exactly the same experience.

Edmund
Steak is always the best. :p

You want to sell, and that is just fine. As far as the best place, just put it on the famous auction site, set a price or let it
go with no reserve. The market will be the rule.
The Leica Noctovid does not compare well to the other top binoculars, first off in Ergos, they tried to do the open frame but
failed, not as friendly in handling, and heavy to top it off. As far as optics these are all very good.
So now what are you planning to go with instead ?
Jerry

You want to sell, and that is just fine. As far as the best place, just put it on the famous auction site, set a price or let it
go with no reserve. The market will be the rule.
The Leica Noctovid does not compare well to the other top binoculars, first off in Ergos, they tried to do the open frame but
failed, not as friendly in handling, and heavy to top it off. As far as optics these are all very good.
So now what are you planning to go with instead ?
Jerry
I'll gladly swap for my Zeiss 8x25 VP if you need something small :)

Edmund

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back