• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where/when to buy NL Pure? - the smart choice (1 Viewer)

Will K

Too well-known member
United Kingdom
Hi everyone!

I'm in the market to buy an NL Pure (10x42 or 12x42), and am looking for some advice concerning where and when to make the purchase.

I live in West Sussex, and have visited a few local retailers, eyeing-up the best options: Brighton, Southampton, Chichester, Bournemouth, etc. I've not gone as far as London yet, but I'd be willing to make a special trip up there, if there was a good reason to do so. Swarovski Optik is not likely to be included in the January sales, but I might be wrong about that!

Does anyone have any tips? Which retailer I should go with? Local or internet? UK or abroad? And when? Any good deals in your local area? What's the smart choice? :)

Thanks!

Local.

But mention to the store if you have seen a lower price in another authorised store.

They will probably match or nearly match the price.

I have bought from distant suppliers but prefer to support a local store, unless the store has a bad reputation.

Regards,
B.

More generally, I have had excellent service from London Camera Exchange, Chichester and Guildford.
LCE London are usually more expensive.

Ace Optics of Bath.

Park Cameras Burgess Hill.

There is an optics store in Brighton, which a friend frequents for used binoculars and scopes. I have only bought a couple of items there.

Castle cameras Bournemouth are excellent.

Regards,
B.

More generally, I have had excellent service from London Camera Exchange, Chichester and Guildford.
LCE London are usually more expensive.

Ace Optics of Bath.

Park Cameras Burgess Hill.

There is an optics store in Brighton, which a friend frequents for used binoculars and scopes. I have only bought a couple of items there.

Castle cameras Bournemouth are excellent.

Regards,
B.
I know them all very well!

The only shop I've not visited yet (website only) is Ace Optics. Park Cameras have an excellent in-store range, and Castle Cameras were very helpful when I was searching for a spotting scope this year (they're one of the few places that stock a large selection of Vortex products).

The NL Pure prices at all these shops are pretty consistent, at the moment. I expect they'd offer very comparable after-service, too.

If you are looking to test these binoculars side by side, and even against other binoculars, of the retailers mentioned above, I have a personal leaning towards Ace Optics. You will get excellent and very personal service there. The showroom is, with comfy chairs, coffee table and glass display cabinets against every wall, very much like a lounge/living room, and the views through the huge sash window which will be opened for you, is absolutely perfect for testing binoculars. Courtyard garden, rooftops and houses, and beyond up a tree lined grassy hill with a castle near the top.

I'm forever trying to find excuses to go there...😉

If you are looking to test these binoculars side by side, and even against other binoculars, of the retailers mentioned above, I have a personal leaning towards Ace Optics. You will get excellent and very personal service there. The showroom is, with comfy chairs, coffee table and glass display cabinets against every wall, very much like a lounge/living room, and the views through the huge sash window which will be opened for you, is absolutely perfect for testing binoculars. Courtyard garden, rooftops and houses, and beyond up a tree lined grassy hill with a castle near the top.

I'm forever trying to find excuses to go there...😉

Sounds lovely! I must pay them a visit.

Sounds lovely! I must pay them a visit.
It really is. Not at all like a shop, it doesn't feel like a retail space. And absolutely no hard sell, you are very much left to make your own mind up, although Ian will always give advice and offer an opinion if pushed to do so.

Closed Thursdays and Sundays, incidentally.

Just to update this thread, and to share what I think is, after all, the smart buying choice for birders...

I finally got an NL Pure 12x42 from an RSPB shop. I went back to Pulborough Brooks to test the NLs again, and to do some more side by side comparisons with the Noctivid, SF, etc. But after looking through them a while, I just knew I had to buy them there and then!

I paid full price, unfortunately (£2550), but the thing that really swung it for me was the fact that the RSBP receives a percentage of the profits from the retail supplier. The shop staff confirmed this. I also earned enough loyalty points to get over £50 off my next purchase, so that's a nice bonus, too.

Yes, it was a lot of money, but I feel good about it. Buying from a supplier connected with a charity certainly seems to be the smart choice, after all!

Just to update this thread, and to share what I think is, after all, the smart buying choice for birders...

I finally got an NL Pure 12x42 from an RSPB shop. I went back to Pulborough Brooks to test the NLs again, and to do some more side by side comparisons with the Noctivid, SF, etc. But after looking through them a while, I just knew I had to buy them there and then!

I paid full price, unfortunately (£2550), but the thing that really swung it for me was the fact that the RSBP receives a percentage of the profits from the retail supplier. The shop staff confirmed this. I also earned enough loyalty points to get over £50 off my next purchase, so that's a nice bonus, too.

Yes, it was a lot of money, but I feel good about it. Buying from a supplier connected with a charity certainly seems to be the smart choice, after all!
Totally agree. I know it's an elitist attitude, but honesly, if someone can afford several thousand $ for binos then they can afford to shop ethically, locally, and responsibly. I 'vote' with my money, making a point to support local shops and dealers whose business practice's I respect.

Nuff said...

Last edited:

Congratulations on the NL 12x42 and the local purchase. These are wonderful binoculars in my opinion. Someone once asked me if I had to to choose to keep only one 12x binocular out of my collection of four (NL 12x42, EL 12x50, Maven 12x56, and Pentax 12x50 WP), which one would it be? I didn't hesitate - it was the NL 12x42.

Congratulations on the NL 12x42 and the local purchase. These are wonderful binoculars in my opinion. Someone once asked me if I had to to choose to keep only one 12x binocular out of my collection of four (NL 12x42, EL 12x50, Maven 12x56, and Pentax 12x50 WP), which one would it be? I didn't hesitate - it was the NL 12x42.
Thank you 🙂 I hope that they’ll be a fantastic ‘all-round’ tool for many years to come.

Sounds like you’ve got a great collection, though!

Thank you Will K! Another thing I like about the NL 12x42 is that, for me, they are most comfortable and ergonomic - a natural extension of my eyes, and easy to deploy.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back