• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which 10x binoculars to pair up my SLC 8x42? (1 Viewer)

ReinierB

Netherlands
Good day all,

I have a SLC 8x42 and I simply love them. The only "problem" is that it is not a 10 power. I like the sharpness, brightness, big FOV and the easiness of it. So now I want to pair up the binoculars with a pair of 10 power binoculars. I simply sometimes prefer 10 power (open landscapes, coasts, mountains and countryside).
I prefer a lightweight pair (the SLC is already quite heavy) so I was thinking about a 10x32. I already tried the conquest 10x32 and the trinovid 10x32. Both bino's didn't convince me. I miss the sharpness of the SLC. Now I am thinking about an Habicht 10x40 because they are lightweight AND they are sharp. My concerns are the stiff focuser and the FOV of only 108 meters. My budget is <€ 1000.
What do you recommend? Is the Habicht 10x40 a good choiche? Or shall I wait longer and save up for an alpha 10x32 (Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica)? Or maybe another brand?

Regards, Reinier

Go to Maarssen and visit House of Outdoor where you can try among others : GPO (excellent quality for a fair price), Bushnell, Meopta etc. Quite a few instruments in your price range to try.
Gijs van Ginkel

I think first you need to decide if 10X32 or 10X42 is the right fit first, there are lightweight 10X42s out there for less $$ than your SLC. How often are you going to use 10X, for me 10X32 is OK for short term viewing, but sorry the 3.2 exit pupil is not where it is at for me, I rarely use it. Think about it you have used your heavy SLC for a while now, unless the weight has now become an issue, then perhaps it is time to sell the SLC and start over.

I’d say to try the Opticron Traveller BGA ED - my low power bins are Zeiss 7x42FL and the 10x32 Opticrons work well for me.
I wonder which bino's you use mostly, the 7x42 or the 10x32? Can you give an estimation? Thanks for the tip.

Anyone any thoughts about this Habicht 10x40 to pair up my slc 8x42?

I wonder which bino's you use mostly, the 7x42 or the 10x32? Can you give an estimation? Thanks for the tip.

Anyone any thoughts about this Habicht 10x40 to pair up my slc 8x42?
I use the 7x42 all of the time when birding. The 10x32 are a second binocular with a bit more power that I can take in a bag, maybe with a camera, when on a general trip our somewhere, not primarily birding, but when I may spot something and still want a decent small lightweight binocular. The 10x32 also serve as my car binoculars.

I use 8x32 most of the time (Zeiss SF or Opticron Traveller) but I also have 10x32 available (Zeiss SF and Opticron Traveller) and find these very useful in some coastal habitats. For 26 years 10x40 was my chosen bino but in later years I have found 8x42 and more recently 8x32 to be more versatile.

Lee

Hi ReinierBos, related to Habicht 10x40, according to Allbinos.com the field of view is 2 meters wider than in the factory specifications, so 110 instead of 108. And even better news according to Allbinos.com, the magnification factor is 10.5x. I tested a 10x40 Habicht 7-8 years ago comparing it to a Zeiss Victory FL 10x56 and a Leica Ultravid non HD 10X42 with two friends. All three were able to read the letters most clearly on a remote poster with Habicht 10x40. I read here on the forum that someone tested in an optical store, all the top 10x40-10x42 binoculars, Zeiss SF, UV HD PLUS, Swarovski SLC, Swarovision and Habicht 10x40. He concluded that he managed to read the letters most clearly on a poster in the store with Habicht 10x40, a pair of binoculars at half the price of the others. So it is possible for Allbinos to be right when they say that Habicht actually has a magnification factor of 10.5x.

Has anyone ever wondered how all those 8 and 10X binos come out perfectly 8 and 10? Thinking about the variations of design and the surfaces of all those lens is this possible? Or are written X specs a nominal thing? How come there are no 8.2s or 9.9s? A recent comparisons of the NL832 and SF832 revealed a difference in magnification reading the Starbucks sign across the parking lot for both myself and the store owner.

Sorry, nope. Letters through NL were slightly, but noticeably bigger. Sort of an 8.1X vs 8X, (or maybe 8 vs 7.9), thing suggested above in #9. Cant say this is NL vs Sf, or NL vs NL... cant.

Last edited:
Very interesting, I voted for SF because a well-known and appreciated member of this forum, Canip, had a completely opposite experience, if I remember correctly he managed to read letters on a panel a little better with SF.

(...) Anyone any thoughts about this Habicht 10x40 to pair up my slc 8x42?
The differences between a Habicht 10x40 and your state-of-the-art SLC could teach you how ergonomics in binos have advanced:
Hence, I would suggest a current Swarovski CL Companion 10x30.

I like the sharpness, brightness, big FOV and the easiness of it. So now I want to pair up the binoculars with a pair of 10 power binoculars. I simply sometimes prefer 10 power (open landscapes, coasts, mountains and countryside).
I prefer a lightweight pair .....
I would suggest that a lightweight 10x42 like the Nikon Monarch HG would tick all your boxes. Try it and see what you think of the quality of the view in relation to your 8x42 SLC. You might even end up getting rid of the 8x42 ..... !

Chosun 🙅‍♀️

Regarding FOV, apparent field of view of the 8x42 SLC and the 10x40 Habicht will be about the same.

The Habicht is a porro, so up to about 100 meters the image scale (how big the bird looks) will be about the same as the 8x42 SLC as porros deliver a smaller image scale compared to dakkant bins. In ideal conditions the resolution or amount fo detail you will see will be higher in the Habichts as it is 10x vs 8X, but in my experience in field conditions (wind, tremors, heat haze) the difference in the amount of detail vissible between 8X and 10X is not very big.

Very interesting, I voted for SF because a well-known and appreciated member of this forum, Canip, had a completely opposite experience, if I remember correctly he managed to read letters on a panel a little better with SF.
I remember Canip's comment, having read that review several times, to make sure I got the nuances. There is after all a certain amount of diplomacy that goes on here at BF... I would say that particular comment was faint praise at best. I suspect even he would agree. But please notice here, I'm talking about magnification - how big, how close (whatever your preference), not clarity, detail, sharpness. The Starbucks sign was bigger/closer through the NL. But please, also, I am not making a claim that the 8X NL has higher magnification than the 8X SF, all things being equal. I have no way of knowing whether that was an individual example thing or a brand thing. No one has ever mentioned magnification differences in these reviews. I dont want to start something here. Im just reporting something the 2 of us saw and were surprised by. K?

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if nominal _x power sample variation, from all manufacturers, occasionally and randomly produces actual _.0x, _.1x, _.9x, etc.

Reinier said: "What do you recommend? Is the Habicht 10x40 a good choiche? Or shall I wait longer and save up for an alpha 10x32 (Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica)? Or maybe another brand?"

As for small and lightweight 10x recommendations, I could not be more pleased with the Leica UVHD+ 10x32. Yes, they are just into the alpha price range (low end of the range), but worth every penny if one seeks top quality in build quality, mechanical function, grade of materials, and optical quality.

I also have Zeiss 10x32 SF, and they're wonderful, very enjoyable bins to use, lightweight, but considerably larger than the UVHD+.

Swaro 10x32 NL are excellent bins, as well, IF you like the feel in the hands of the pinched-waist form factor, comparatively less "stiction" of the armor, and don't mind the price tag. I found them to be a little slippery, less stable in my hands.

Lately, my Zeiss 10x42 SF and Conquest HD bins are not getting much use at all, these days, as I'm finding I prefer the x32 size, form factor, and handling.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back