• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which 10x has the greatest DOF? (1 Viewer)

gandytron

I’ve been using 7x and 8x binoculars for the last decade but a year ago bought a pair of Leica 10x32 Trinovid HDs and I find the DOF annoyingly shallow and I continually need to refocus when birding in urban green spaces (where I do 95% of my birding). This is not helped by the Trinnie HD having some play in the focus wheel.

I’m planning to replace them with another 10x later this year and to help me narrow my search for an alternative model I’d be interested to know how much DOF is offered by the various top-tier models, and whether a 10x42 might offer more DOF than a 10x32.

Any thoughts?

Depth of field varies with magnification, so all else equal a 10x will have less depth of field than a 8x.

However, at the same magnification, depth of field is also related to focal ratio. We see this in camera lenses, where closing down the aperture increases depth of field. Unless you mask or stop down your binoculars, the only way to get better depth of field at the same power is to find binoculars with a longer focal ratio.

Most binoculars are around f/4 but abnormally short or long units may fall outside this range. Leica Ultravid binoculars tend to be short for their objective size. The opposite is true for Zeiss SF and Swarovski EL. This is especially obvious in the 32mm size for all 3 brands.

Most likely the Leicas have shorter focal ratio, while the Zeiss and Swaros have longer focal ratios, so depth of field in the Zeiss SF and Swarovski EL should be correspondingly greater than in the Leica Ultravid. As for the Trinovid, its length should give appropriate hints about its focal ratio.

EDIT: After further reading I believe that for binoculars only magnification affects DOF. My apologies to anyone who was misled.

Last edited:
Thanks for these replies.

I think the slack in the focus wheel on the Trinnie HD might be a contributing factor to the feeling of especially shallow DOF, so when I look for a new 10x I will pay particular attention to the precision of the focus, as well as the length of the body.

Thanks for these replies.

I think the slack in the focus wheel on the Trinnie HD might be a contributing factor to the feeling of especially shallow DOF, so when I look for a new 10x I will pay particular attention to the precision of the focus, as well as the length of the body.
You should have the binos looked at by Leica service. I own a half-doz Leica including 8x and 10x Trins and NONE of them has slack in focus wheel.

@BKoh I hope you don't mind but I cross-posted (and quoted you) on the other DOF thread mentioned above. I'm really interested in the comment that DOF is affected by focal-length of bino (and thus physical size?). I was under the impression that it is not, but will admit it's been hard for me to get a grip on DOF in binos and I'm genuinely curious!

However, at the same magnification, depth of field is also related to focal ratio. We see this in camera lenses, where closing down the aperture increases depth of field. Unless you mask or stop down your binoculars, the only way to get better depth of field at the same power is to find binoculars with a longer focal ratio.
This is not the case. See Canip's post #31 on the other DoF thread.
Disregarding factors such as accommodation, field curvature and reduced exit pupil, DoF is prportional to the inverse square of the magnification, i.e. a 7x binocular has double the DoF of a 10x binocular.

John

@BKoh I hope you don't mind but I cross-posted (and quoted you) on the other DOF thread mentioned above. I'm really interested in the comment that DOF is affected by focal-length of bino (and thus physical size?). I was under the impression that it is not, but will admit it's been hard for me to get a grip on DOF in binos and I'm genuinely curious!
My apologies. After fully reading this thread:

I stand corrected. In the above discussion, careful experiments by experienced members agreed with mathematical calculations that for binoculars, only magnification affects DOF.

Coming from a photography old-school background, I've had to rethink a lot :p There's no question that different binoculars present a different picture to the eye/brain, but quantifying it and discussing it, is often harder than you would expect!
To the original poster, I would simply say: try as many binos as you can! Everyone's ergonomics and perceptions are different (and pocketbook of course).

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back