• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Barn Swallow subspecies have been confirmed in Australia? (1 Viewer)

MJB

On visits to NT, I've seen vagrant (?) Barn Swallow at the Broome South Wastewater Treatment Plant, as did several Broome Bird Obs staff & guests, but have any subspecies been confirmed? Amongst the candidates might be erythrogaster, tytleri and gutturalis...
MJB

The subspecies at Broome is gutturalis, and they are regular migrants in small numbers to the north. Broome is in WA by the way, not the NT.

The subspecies at Broome is gutturalis, and they are regular migrants in small numbers to the north. Broome is in WA by the way, not the NT.
Thanks for the info and especially the correction! I should have said NT & WA, because it was on a trip where I was first in NT and saw what I thought was a distant Barn Swallow from the west side of Charles Darwin Park. I then I went on to WA, where several Barn Swallows were at the Broome water treatment plant. However, while shortening my draft post, I decided just to concentrate on the Broome aspect and failed to notice I'd left NT in it!
MJB
(Reminder to self: always check the detail you've written!:mad:)

tytleri has also been reported at least though I don't know off the top of my head whether any claims are well-documented

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back