• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which binocular(s) did you use today? (1 Viewer)

Hello,

On Wednesday morning, I picked the wrong binocular. Before 7 o'clock, I seem to have trouble doing a lot of things. I guess that I thought that it was a different black binocular:
Zen-Ray 7x36.JPG
Zen -Ray received a lot of hype on this Forum, years ago. I was not enchanted with this binocular and preferred an older Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt Classic. It is a good glass but not an excellent one.

This morning, once again, I picked the wrong binocular, a Zeiss Victory 8x40, probably purchased in 2003, before the FL binoculars appeared.
Zeiss 8x40.JPG
There were some complaints about this binocular: it did not hang right, it smelled, it was not high resolution and there was a tendency to chromatic aberration. I had trouble neither with its resolution nor how it hung, and had to make a real effort to see chromatic aberration. The smell, which probably dispelled after some usage was not my problem. The AK prisms certainly delivered a bright view. Shortly after its purchase, I started to rely on 8x32 binoculars, as smaller, lighter and well suited to my bird watching needs.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Last edited:
Hello,

Today, I made an effort to pick my Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt ClassiC. This binocular was the last of a long line of similar roof prism binocular going back decades to the 7x42 Hensoldt nachtglas. Hensoldt was bought by Zeiss almost 100 years ago, but continued manufacturing binoculars under its own name. [Hans Hensoldt was a brand started by a member of the Hensoldt family after WWII]
This binocular was phase coated but it does not have internal focussing, relying on a moveable bridge, which means it does not have close focussing and it avoids chromatic aberrations associated with internal focussing. The focussing has more resistance than internal focussing so it is harder to focus. The long body does provide ample ways of holding and is rather easy to handle.
This binocular seems to provide an incredibly easy view: ample eye relief, wide field, stable, with no noticeable aberrations. If it were not for its bulk, I would probably use it more often.

Dialyt 7x42.jpg

Stay safe,
Arthur

You could get a re-grease to loosen up that focuser. I just sent an 8x56 Dialyt for service with Zeiss and the focuser came back silky-smooth and very easy to turn. I sent them in because it had stiffened up, it was a real chore to turn the focus wheel. It's a 1990 model and the OEM grease had congealed.

Hello,

Eighteen or twenty years, ago, I bought this Russian binocular, a Foton 7x35. It is a copy of a Zeiss Jena Notarem and its optics are straight out of the early 1970's. It does not have phase coating; its minimus focussing distance is about 4.5m; and the coatings are blue to purple. The focussing and integrated dioptre setting are very nice. Unlike other Russian binoculars, it was clearly made for consumers. When I used it on Tuesday, its optics are way out of date, but it still provided a comfortable view. Indeed, today I saw only one more species than yesterday, with my modern Zeiss. I wonder if it enjoyed any popularity in the UK.

Foton 7x35.JPG
Stay safe,
Arthur

Last edited:
I used my Kowa YF11 6x30 for a short hike in the wood
and an relaxing sit by an open space watching the rabbits, bluejays and robins.

4 sunspots with Skywatcher 8x32s

Great enjoyment for a small investment in money and time.

edj

Last edited:
Got this used (October 2011) Leica 8x20 UV last week, perfect for the summer when it‘s hot and you have little space to carry things. Just put it in my shirt pocket. Build quality and view are outstanding. Came with a nice brown leather case, which is too big for taking on a hike but good for storage in a suitcase. One of the screw caps was missing but the good people of Leica CS Portugal will send me a spare part for free.

IMG_4796.jpeg

Hello,

I am still trawling through my cupboard and found this binocular, purchased before 2003, as NOS: a Leica 7x42BA. The BN models were distinguished from the BA models by the closer minimal focus. This binocular is phase coated, unlike the Leitz models. It has a solid feel but it is rather heavier than my Dialyt ClassiC 7x42. It is of the familiar Schmidt-Pechan design, with internal focussing, and waterproof. The diopter setting in integrated with the general focussing and has a nice feel. The objective covers are an after market purchase.

Leica 7x42 BA.JPG

Like all well made 7x binoculars, it gives a stable, pleasant view. My poor colour perception finds it to have true to life colour, when I used it today, a generally overcast and rainy day. As I found the Dialyt lighter, I tended to favour that when I want a 7X.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back