• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which binoculars fall over? (1 Viewer)

Binastro

When photographing binoculars, which binoculars fall over when placed vertically?

The micro binoculars probably fall over.

Does an Avimo fall over?

Would an estimate of 10% of binoculars that cannot stay vertical without support be near the mark?

I'll see if the Fuji 5x17 falls over.

Regards,
B.

I've never owned binoculars that don't stand up. Maybe the IS models might have a problem, but I've never owned any.

The Fuji is actually 5x21 and doesn't fall over.

The Minolta 8x23 Autofocus does fall over.

It is difficult to take photos of a group of binoculars that fall over.

One could take photos from above, but the binoculars would take up a large area.

B.

Many of the early non-stereoscopic models with closely spaced objectives (Zeiss’ patent did not expire until 1908 and some companies continued to make them well after that) are not very stable when placed upright. This is why Huet and some of the other early French makers put little knobs underneath the objectives to level the binoculars when placed vertically.

The Canon 18x50 IS is very stable vertically.

However, IS binoculars should not be stored vertically, as in my experience, it can affect the stabilisation.

Another problem with binoculars is that some slide very easily when horizontal or nearly so.

My Canon 10x30 IS Mk 3 slid off a very slightly inclined table a few hours after being bought brand new.
Luckily a chair was flush with the table and stopped it crashing on to a hard floor.

The makers of binoculars should actually consider the survivability of a binocular when designing it.

Regards,
B.

Last edited:
When photographing binoculars, which binoculars fall over when placed vertically?

The micro binoculars probably fall over.

Does an Avimo fall over?

Would an estimate of 10% of binoculars that cannot stay vertical without support be near the mark?

I'll see if the Fuji 5x17 falls over.

Regards,
B.
Here's a fantastic 1974 binocular that hasn't stood up on its own for the past 47 years: the 7x35 Swift Model 770 shown below with 578 ft. (77.21 deg. AFOV), manufactured by Yoko Sangyo Co. Ltd. To be truthful, it doesn't exactly "fall over," but it does tilt like the tower of Pisa.

Attachments

• Swif Nighthawk Mod. 770 JB 191.jpg
    Swif Nighthawk Mod. 770 JB 191.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 26
My Swift Nighthawk is a model 771. Looks just like Ed's but is an 8x40 with a 500" fov. It will technically stand up, but will fall over if a shadow passes over it. I have a nearly new 771 in addition to my original from 1968 that has to go someplace for collimation after I left it alone for a minute too long.

My reverse porro Papilio does a balancing act to stand up but the slightest vibration or wind will make it topple . No problem standing for my two 8x42 roofs or my 15x70 porro . My 7x15 monocular has no problem standing .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back