• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Book? (1 Viewer)

djg

I'm looking for a book for a beginner to intermediate level interest. I've narrowed it down to " The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Eastern North America" or "The Crossley ID Guide: Eastern Birds".

Any input on either would be appreciated.

I would recommend either the Nat Geo or the Eastern/Western Sibley. Sibley is probably the best for tough identifications, and if you stick to the Western or Eastern versions, it's also small enough to easily fit in a jacket pocket. National Geo is more compact and complete, and typically has more birds per page.

I would never recommend the Crossley guide for a beginner. First, it's huge, and I can't imagine lugging it into the field. Also the way it's organized requires some degree of familiarity with bird identification, as each species gets a full photo spread. There is a bit of extra technical details also that distract from it's use as a beginning bird guide, like usage of banding codes in the text. I really consider it more of a desk reference, something to either to study at home to prepare for spring migration, or something to turn to when you only get a fleeting odd view of a bird.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll stick with the Sibling's (East) and an used copy (cheap) NG back yard birds for a starter.

I know this is an old post, but, if you have more experience now, you should get the Crossley ID Guide because you might begin to see more uncommon birds you can't identify. But, no, it's not the kind of book for a birding trip. It's more for using after you go on one.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back