• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

which camera (1 Viewer)

Chkm8

I have a Canon DSLR and prefer canon (simply my own preference) I recently dropped and broke my canon powershot and was thinknig about getting a replacement suitable for scoping. Was looking at the Canon PowerShot A590
but can spend a bit more to ensure I get the right camera first time round. Any suggestions welcome.

wings

The A590IS is a nice all-round camera. I have one and tried digiscoping with it. But because I wear bifocals, I have a hard time focusing while looking at the LCD screen. Others (Neil and Bob) have taken excellent digiscoped shots with the camera, so it comes down to individual idiosyncracies and technique. Many people promote the Nikon Coolpix 5100, and if you can afford it, the Coolpix 8400.

I finally went the DSLR route but still keep the A590IS and try an occasional digiscoped shot or two. It is lightweight and very convenient to tote around.

By the way, since you have a Canon DSLR, all you need is a 50mm lens. No special adapter or ring needed, but you'll need a good bracket rail to support the heavier DSLR. For me, it's a faster setup than using a T2 adapter and other stuff.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread