• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which crow picture do you like best? (1 Viewer)

MaxesTaxes

Netherlands
Hi everyone,
I'm not sure whether this is the right subforum to post this in (or whether posts like this are allowed/encouraged), so if not then the mods can feel free to take whatever action is necessary.
Anyways I'm looking for some feedback on these crow photos that I took recently. All of them were taken using my LUMIX DMC-G80 last Tuesday on the Zandmotor (Netherlands), the beach where I go fossil hunting. They're all of the same carrion crow. I really like all 6, but they are all somewhat similar and I'm hoping to only keep 1 or 2 for my personal 'Favorites' album. Note that these photos are completely unedited and I'm happy to rotate/crop any of them. I could also consider editing the lighting/colors/contrast etc, but I am very inexperienced with that kind of editing (and also hold a small personal preference for untampered photos).
Each photo has a slightly different pose, giving a slightly different character to the crow.
So, your turn to tell me what you think: which one (or two) do you like best, and why?
Looking forward to your responses!
Best,
Max

Attachments

• P1010076.JPG
    P1010076.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 41
  • P1010079.JPG
    P1010079.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 41
  • P1010083.JPG
    P1010083.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 34
  • P1010084.JPG
    P1010084.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 31
  • P1010087.JPG
    P1010087.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 27
  • P1010088.JPG
    P1010088.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 38
I've just made some quick crops as well of all of them, just in case someone would like to see the closeups (although the in-built Zoom In option here seems to be quite good)

Attachments

• P1010083s.JPG
    P1010083s.JPG
    465.4 KB · Views: 22
  • P1010079s.JPG
    P1010079s.JPG
    351.8 KB · Views: 27
  • P1010076s.JPG
    P1010076s.JPG
    412.4 KB · Views: 27
  • P1010084s.JPG
    P1010084s.JPG
    497.9 KB · Views: 25
  • P1010087s.JPG
    P1010087s.JPG
    373 KB · Views: 17
  • P1010088s.JPG
    P1010088s.JPG
    401.2 KB · Views: 15
My favourites are P1010076 and P1010084.
Thanks! Can I ask why you like these more than the rest (if there is a specific reason)? I'm still quite new to photography and therefore find it a bit difficult sometimes to determine what constitutes a more enjoyable photo.

P1010076 by far. It's sharp, well exposed it has a great pose. The shell is a nice additional touch and the fact that it's calling all make this the best in my opinion.

I think you've cropped them too tight. Leave more space in the direction the bird is looking.

P1010076 by far. It's sharp, well exposed it has a great pose. The shell is a nice additional touch and the fact that it's calling all make this the best in my opinion.

I think you've cropped them too tight. Leave more space in the direction the bird is looking.

P1010076 is my favorite too, and I want to second your opinion on cropping. This is one of the biggest mistakes that I see in bird photography. Trying to maximize the size of the subject often results in a picture that looks like a bird in a box. Pictures like that make me feel claustrophobic.

I like 76 too, but my other favourite is 79.... there just seems to be a 'story' there with that pose.... like 'this is mine' LOL. There's a little more action about it.

Leave more space in the direction the bird is looking
I agree with this comment too. Give some space in front of the bird for him to 'move' into.

@MikeInPA @jmepler @delia todd
Thank you all for your great feedback, much appreciated and very helpful!
About the cropping, I agree it was way too tight. I had cropped them very roughly and quickly just to make it easier to see the actual detail on the bird to help you guys choose, in case the forum's zoom-in option was bad (which isn't the case luckily, I'm very impressed!).
I have now cropped the photos (76 and 79), and I quite like how they look now. What do you think?

76: purposefully very off-center, to give a better idea of the surroundings (and like you recommended, to show where he is looking). This way I also include a good amount of the blue seawater, which I think gives more color and life to the photo. The one thing I'm not certain about is that the bird does seem quite small like this and perhaps almost a bit 'lost' in the photo.
P1010076 (2).JPG

79: I agree with Delia that the pose on this one is very special, and I really like the crow's 'facial expression', so I think it's important to put that a bit more in value here which is why I cropped this one more tightly. The head is centered into the middle column. However I think that in terms of colors this is not the most interesting photo.
P1010079 (2).JPG

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts again, and sorry that I'm being so naggy about this! 😜

79 is my favourite too. You have the "shellfish action" but I prefer the closed bill. Great photos!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back