• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

which dolphin species? | 7 march 2020 | Mikurajima, Japan (1 Viewer)

HouseCrow

This fin showed itself briefly alongside the Tokyo - Tokyo Islands ferry, just outside Mikurajima harbour
On a coldish march morning, early march 2020 (last weeks of free travel)

Would you agree that it is Short-beaked Common Dolphin Delphinus delphis?

hope to hear from you
cheers,
G erben

Attachments

• vin.jpg
    vin.jpg
    799.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 38673758.jpg
    38673758.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 26
I'm far from expert but it doesn't look like the images of S-f Common that I've seen on Google. The fin looks more like that of a Porpoise to me but wait for others who actually know what they're talking about!

It doesn't look like Common Dolphin to me. BTW Common Dolphin was lumped recently and there is no longer a division between Short- and Long-beaked.

John

thanks for your replies. I'll have another look at porpoise. I thought these fins were more compact than on this animal...but I am the least expert of the three of us.
I didn't know about the lumping of the two. Inaturalist obviously does not (yet) follow it either. I will bring it to their attention.

No idea what it might be John?

cheers,
Gerben

Last edited:
thanks for your replies. I'll have another look at porpoise. I thought these fins were more compact than on this animal...but I am the least expert of the three of us.
I didn't know about the lumping of the two. Inaturalist obviously does not (yet) follow it either. I will bring it to their attention.

No suggestions are coming from you than John?

cheers,
Gerben
Without checking literature no, but I think Andy is probably right. The fin is almost shark-like with no recurvature in the trailing edge such as Common Dolphin would show.

Cheers

John

This does look good for Pacific Harbour Porpoise. The falcate shaped fin is more of a feature than in the nominate Atlantic subspecies and there is some evidence for considering a separate western pacific form, which in turn may have the falcate shape as even more of a feature. Lots of small nicks on the rear edge - ? cause. Interesting photos all round - thanks

An observado.org admin suggests (not a definit ID) Fraser's Dolphin (Lagenodelphis hosei). Any chance he might be right?

cheers,
G

An observado.org admin suggests (not a definit ID) Fraser's Dolphin (Lagenodelphis hosei). Any chance he might be right?

cheers,
G
Possibly - you probably couldn't rule it out absolutely just on these shots but a few of things against that particular species - its usually a deep water species found in large groups and, being a dolphin rather than a porpoise, would be more likely to 'show more' eg more dynamic swimming style. But heh, this is nature - walrus in UK this summer and (still) one in Holland.

Thanks for that reply Mad,
I don't remember seeing more than just a diving fin like on the photo, I was waiting to see some birds at dawn. It may have been jumping about on the other side of the boat for all I know.
I don't know how deep these waters around these Volcanic islands are. But they are well off shore so...

Is the fin not too hooked in Fraser's?

cheers
G

its not a species I'm familiar with but looking through references the fin can vary in shape, enough for yours to be within that range. If I was doing a formal survey I'd be recording this as 'unidentified small cetacean':unsure:😂

thanks. I had best rename it then to 'USC' : ) It is how it is of course...
I was hoping for Japanese avid mammalists to reply in inaturalist but no luck sofar.
I have no knowledge of what is common around these islands....birds butter- & dragonflies fine, mammals...no.

cheers,
G

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back