• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which is a better deal for $600 (1 Viewer)

nwbreeze

United States
Greetings from WA State, USA.

I have a chance to buy one or the other paces of hardware for bird watching. Both feel like very decent deals. I'm not sure which might be most benfitical for viewing birds, any pros, cons or trade offs.

I've been hoping to view birds at a distance. I've been offered:

- new Leica Duovid 8x & 12x Binoculars

or

- used Zeiss Diascope 85mm (green circa 2010). The scope appears to have a 20-60x eye piece and is in very good shape. No cover of any kind (think it's water proof). Weighty compared to binoculars.

I can get either for $600. Just asking around, which might be the best deal, price, age, condition, reputation. benefits. Which would you take?

If you already have a set of binoculars that work, I would go with the scope. The Zeiss Diascopes had FL glass and were quite nice in my opinion.

If you don’t have binos, those would be first and foremost to have on hand for birding/nature observation.

I also want to know how the heck I can get the one you don’t pick for $600?!

I would take the binoculars. Duovid with the two powers is much more versatile than the scope. The scope it is bulky to be transported + you need a tripod. But if these are not a problem for you then you better take Diascopes!

Hi,

a vote for the spotter - but please test it before you buy...

You need a pair of bins too... but the Duovid is quite heavy and holding 12x steady is not sth most people can do over more than a few seconds...

Joachim

I can get either for $600.
A new Duovid for 600$? Sounds a bit dodgy.
If you reckon it's safe to buy, why not buy both, see which one you use more often and sell the other one? You could sell the Duovid for much more than 600$.

I'm curious to hear about your decision.

Last edited:
A new Duovid for 600$? Sounds a bit dodgy.
If you reckon it's safe to buy, why not buy both, see which one you use more often and sell the other one? You could sell the Duovid for much more than 600$.

I'm curious to hear about your decision.
Yes I agree with the low price on the New Duovid being a bit suspicious, normally twice that.

Yep get em both. Those are screaming deals worth the reach. Thats an unbelievable choice. As a more practical matter, a good 8x or 10x binocular will give you more mileage than any other optic. As others have said, if you dont already have a bin get that first. On the other hand, coming across a high end spotter at a price like that is rare.

Greetings from WA State, USA.

I have a chance to buy one or the other paces of hardware for bird watching. Both feel like very decent deals. I'm not sure which might be most benfitical for viewing birds, any pros, cons or trade offs.

I've been hoping to view birds at a distance. I've been offered:

- new Leica Duovid 8x & 12x Binoculars

or

- used Zeiss Diascope 85mm (green circa 2010). The scope appears to have a 20-60x eye piece and is in very good shape. No cover of any kind (think it's water proof). Weighty compared to binoculars.

I can get either for $600. Just asking around, which might be the best deal, price, age, condition, reputation. benefits. Which would you take?
For $600 each if they are in good shape I would buy them both!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back