• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Which is a better deal for $600 (1 Viewer)

nwbreeze

United States
Greetings from WA State, USA.

I have a chance to buy one or the other paces of hardware for bird watching. Both feel like very decent deals. I'm not sure which might be most benfitical for viewing birds, any pros, cons or trade offs.

I've been hoping to view birds at a distance. I've been offered:

- new Leica Duovid 8x & 12x Binoculars

or

- used Zeiss Diascope 85mm (green circa 2010). The scope appears to have a 20-60x eye piece and is in very good shape. No cover of any kind (think it's water proof). Weighty compared to binoculars.

I can get either for $600. Just asking around, which might be the best deal, price, age, condition, reputation. benefits. Which would you take?

Nethero

If you already have a set of binoculars that work, I would go with the scope. The Zeiss Diascopes had FL glass and were quite nice in my opinion.

If you don’t have binos, those would be first and foremost to have on hand for birding/nature observation.

I also want to know how the heck I can get the one you don’t pick for $600?!

dorubird

Romania
I would take the binoculars. Duovid with the two powers is much more versatile than the scope. The scope it is bulky to be transported + you need a tripod. But if these are not a problem for you then you better take Diascopes!

jring

Hi,

a vote for the spotter - but please test it before you buy...

You need a pair of bins too... but the Duovid is quite heavy and holding 12x steady is not sth most people can do over more than a few seconds...

Joachim

jafritten

I can get either for $600.
A new Duovid for 600$? Sounds a bit dodgy.
If you reckon it's safe to buy, why not buy both, see which one you use more often and sell the other one? You could sell the Duovid for much more than 600$.

I'm curious to hear about your decision.

Last edited:

dries1

A new Duovid for 600$? Sounds a bit dodgy.
If you reckon it's safe to buy, why not buy both, see which one you use more often and sell the other one? You could sell the Duovid for much more than 600$.

I'm curious to hear about your decision.
Yes I agree with the low price on the New Duovid being a bit suspicious, normally twice that.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread