• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which is your favouite Bird Book (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
Thats quite tricky but I think my favourite ones are, Birding With Bill Oddie and Bill Oddies Guide to Birdwatching. Really looking forward to Florida this year, then I Can see all the lovely birds there. With my new Birdwatching in Florida book Ill no wot some of them r called but i do no theres differnt spieces on egrits and herons:D

Hmm.... what about Bill Oddies little black bird book, and The big bird race? Also Birders tales of a tribe by Mark cocker. As for Bird books try the Collins guide best I've seen.

oh yeah Collins Bird Guide and Bill Oddies Little BlackBird Book is great to. Follow That Bird is a gd 1 too

We've had a similar thread to this a few weeks ago Euan, but I for one don't mind seeing it again.

Two of my favorites are

Extinct Birds (Errol Fuller)

and

British Birds, their Folklore, Names and Literature (Francesca Greenoak)

Favorite bird book has to be Eric Hosking's autobiography "An eye for a bird" Only wish I could have attended one of his lectures.

Ian.

Apart from the current Collins guide book which is a must, the book i treasure is the first little bird book which started my interest way back in 1976 the Observer book of Birds...i still look at even now and memories of birding as a young lad.

Well, I want to revive this old thread because the book that leapt immediately to mind is an odd one, "The Complete Illustrated Check List of the Birds of the World", by Tim Westoll. Yes, I know what you're going to say, but I am fascinated and awed and humbled by the author's grit and tenacity in accomplishing an impossible feat single-handed. His all-out love for birds flows like manna out of every page, and every page encourages me to keep going, keep trying too.

Good birding,

Letters from Skokholm by R.M. Lockley, read it and wanted to be a modern day Robinson Crusoe type. Anything by His Holiness, leader of the BBC (British Birding Church), William Oddie is usually pretty entertaining. Richard Millington's Diary of a Twitcher, although a bit quirky in places, does have a lot of relevant experiences to us (former) twitcher types. Also like any Where to watch/see books as it always makes me want to go there.

my list.
the observers book of birds, 1962.
mark cocker tales of a tribe.
collins bird guide.
bert.

A Naturalist on Lindisfarne, by Richard Perry or Little Black Bird Book, by Bill Oddie both enjoyable reads for different reasons and as an ID guide Concise BWP.

O.K. Joan and Matt,

Read:

Kingbird Highway by Ken Kaufman
The Feather Quest by Pete Dunne
and my favorite....I Came, I Saw, I Counted by Sandy Komito

Of course both U.K. and American readers have always loved...
Wild America by R.T. Peterson and James Fisher

dennis

My favourite ID book is the Collins Birdguide.

My favourite book about birds is "Wild America" by James Fisher and Roger Tory Peterson. It describes a birding tour of the United States they did in the fifties.

I read it as a kid in the sixties and managed to get a copy a couple of years back. It still gives me pleasure to read it. I hope when I retire I will be able to follow the route. i used to wonder at the names like Whip Poorwill

For NA birds, The Birder's Handbook by Erlich, Dobkin, and Wheye is WONDERFUL for learning tons about the particular habits, foraging techniques, diets, mating habits, nesting-duty division, etc etc of birds we see. In our house the book has become known simply at 'the yellow book.' It is not an ID book. It is great as a reference for behaviours seen in the field. Beyond wonder species-by-species accounts, it also contains more general essays about broad topics such as flight, etc., and more specialized but very pertinent essays on things such as what the evolutionary benefits of 'mobbing' might be, why some birds move their heads back and forth as they walk.... Finally (I just found this), the authors put many of their essays on the web at http://www.stanfordalumni.org/birdsite/text/essays/help_essay_list.html

The Inskipp's 'Birds of the Indian Subcontinent' for me. Although Tales of a Tride was a very good read.

From a UK/WP contect the two MacMillan guides are superb.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back