• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Kenko 1.4x tc with 5D3 (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
I have read about certain Kenko 1.4x converters causing the 5D3 to 'lock-up' with some Canon lenses. I am specifically looking to use a 1.4x with the Canon 100mm L IS Macro and the Canon 400/5.6. Only looking for answer when used with the 5D3 (latest firmware) please. Thanks in advance.

Forgot to mention but just to confuse matters even more it seems as if some Kenko tc's will also lock-up the 5D3 when you have AFMA enabled (works fine if you disable AFMA).

Sounds like a good case for sticking with Canon TCs. I have the 5DIII, the 400mm f/5.6 and the 1.4xTCIII and they all work well together.

Sounds like a good case for sticking with Canon TCs. I have the 5DIII, the 400mm f/5.6 and the 1.4xTCIII and they all work well together.
I already have a Canon 1.4x tc but unless you use an extension tube you cannot use it with the 100/2.8 macro!

Not thought about the kenko 1.4dgx then?

Cheers.

Steve.B :)
That's why I am asking - which version of the 1.4x DGX do you mean and does it work OK with the 5D3? - from what I read the 1.4x 300 Pro DGX does not play ball with the 5D3 at all although the Kenko 1.4 MC4 DGX may work if you do not enable AFMA per lens but does work if you disable that and use 'same for all lens' it does work. Have you any experiences of either of these on the 5D3, if so how did you get on?

That's why I am asking - which version of the 1.4x DGX do you mean and does it work OK with the 5D3? - from what I read the 1.4x 300 Pro DGX does not play ball with the 5D3 at all although the Kenko 1.4 MC4 DGX may work if you do not enable AFMA per lens but does work if you disable that and use 'same for all lens' it does work. Have you any experiences of either of these on the 5D3, if so how did you get on?

Hi roy in all honesty i have no experience of using the kenko with the 5d3,as knowone had mentioned the kenko i suggested it.

Steve.:t:

Roy, I used the keno 300 dgx pro1.4x with a 5D3 and the 400 mm f5.6L for several months with out any problem. I only used the Centre point for focus and I did not afma the combination. I didn't, really see any difference when I upgraded to the canon 1.4x mk3. The mk3's appear to only be optimized for the mk2 lenses. Can't comment on the 100mmL as I don't have one.

Roy, I used the keno 300 dgx pro1.4x with a 5D3 and the 400 mm f5.6L for several months with out any problem. I only used the Centre point for focus and I did not afma the combination. I didn't, really see any difference when I upgraded to the canon 1.4x mk3. The mk3's appear to only be optimized for the mk2 lenses. Can't comment on the 100mmL as I don't have one.
That's good to know Jim, have you ever tried the combo with AFMA per lens with the 5D3 and Kenko?

I haven't gotten around to AFMA yet. I have Focal, but I haven't had the time. Too busy working and taking photography courses at a local college.

Roy

I'm pretty sure when I first got my 6d and 100f2.8L (which I believe uses the same software as the 5diii) it worked with the 300DGX Pro 1.4. Since then I AFMA'd the 100. I've done some testing this morning and the camera locks even if you disable AFMA before fitting the lens. Looking in the menus the camera has two sets of AFMA data for the lens. One has a serial number and is clearly for the lens and the other has no serial number and is presumably for the lens and teleconverter. The AFMA value does not seem to be adjustable independently for the combination.

I'm in the Farne Islands at the moment on a trip. If you would like I will try resetting AFMA completely at the weekend and see if I can get a definitive answer. Clearly I don't want to do this whilst I'm away.

Hope this helps

Steve

Roy

I'm pretty sure when I first got my 6d and 100f2.8L (which I believe uses the same software as the 5diii) it worked with the 300DGX Pro 1.4. Since then I AFMA'd the 100. I've done some testing this morning and the camera locks even if you disable AFMA before fitting the lens. Looking in the menus the camera has two sets of AFMA data for the lens. One has a serial number and is clearly for the lens and the other has no serial number and is presumably for the lens and teleconverter. The AFMA value does not seem to be adjustable independently for the combination.

I'm in the Farne Islands at the moment on a trip. If you would like I will try resetting AFMA completely at the weekend and see if I can get a definitive answer. Clearly I don't want to do this whilst I'm away.

Hope this helps

Steve
Thanks for that Steve, looks like the 6D is behaving the same as the 5D3 as you say, the only way to un-lock the camera is to remove the battery from what I read. Seems like Kenko have not kept pace with the newer Canon bodies like 6D,5D3, 1DX and maybe even the 70D, especially the AFMA systems.
Think I will drop the idea of a Kenko tc.

Roy

I have re-tested the 6d and the 300 DGX Pro 1.4 since I got back from the Farne Islands (what a great experience).

I cleared all the AFMA data from the camera so that I could start from fresh. In that state and with AFMA disabled the 100f2.8L worked perfectly with the teleconverter.

I then set an all lens AFMA adjustment and everything still worked perfectly.

With individual lens adjustment set for the 100f2.8 the teleconverter locks the camera and needs a battery removal reset. Disabling AFMA without the teleconverter on the camera and reattaching the teleconverter it all worked perfectly again.

In summary, it appears that the Kenko 300DGX Pro will work if the camera is set to either AFMA disabled or an all lens AFMA setting. I think that it didn't work for me whilst I was away because I had tried to AFMA the 100f2.8 Kenko combination and this had registered in the AFMA data as a second 100f2.8.

Hope this is helpful.

Steve

Roy
With individual lens adjustment set for the 100f2.8 the teleconverter locks the camera and needs a battery removal reset. Disabling AFMA without the teleconverter on the camera and reattaching the teleconverter it all worked perfectly again.

In summary, it appears that the Kenko 300DGX Pro will work if the camera is set to either AFMA disabled or an all lens AFMA setting. I think that it didn't work for me whilst I was away because I had tried to AFMA the 100f2.8 Kenko combination and this had registered in the AFMA data as a second 100f2.8.

Hope this is helpful.

Steve
Thanks for that Steve, this confirms what I have been reading about the 5D3 and 100mm LIS macro, all's well unless you set a AFMA per lens.I guess you could still use AFMA by making it 'all lens' but would have to remember to change back when using other lenses.

You can set individual AFMA up for lenses. I have four of mine AFMA'd including the 100f2.8. you just have to make sure you disable the AFMA through the menu and save the change before attaching the lens plus the teleconverter.

Best Wishes

Steve

You can set individual AFMA up for lenses. I have four of mine AFMA'd including the 100f2.8. you just have to make sure you disable the AFMA through the menu and save the change before attaching the lens plus the teleconverter.

Best Wishes

Steve
Yes, I have all my lenses individually done (even different AFMA settings for both wide and tele on my zoom lenses) but if I want to use AFMA with the 100 macro + Kenko then I would have to set AFMA via 'all lens' setting. Which means I would have to remember to switch it back to 'per lens' when not using the 100 macro or else I am going to get the macro AFMA setting for everything!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back