• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Nightjar in Northeastern USA This Week? (1 Viewer)

CurtMorgan

I saw this resting bird at Parker River National Wildlife Refuge in Newbury Massachusetts this week. Do you know which nightjar it is? Please tell me how you came to that conclusion.

Attachments

• NightJar1.jpg
    NightJar1.jpg
    587.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Nightjar2.jpg
    Nightjar2.jpg
    622.1 KB · Views: 38
Thank you

The director of an Audubon Center thought that it was an Eastern Whippoorwill, so I wanted confirmation. I was thrown off by the lack of white markings on the wings and tail. Does that mean that it is a female?

The director of an Audubon Center thought that it was an Eastern Whippoorwill, so I wanted confirmation. I was thrown off by the lack of white markings on the wings and tail. Does that mean that it is a female?

I suppose that female is not a bad guess. I'm no expert on nightjars, but you can see the white feather that is part of the folded wing and is located near the center of the flanks (I guess its a primary shaft). Sibley says that is unique to Common Nighthawks. Its visible in picture #2, not that there is any doubt without that ID mark, but that is a clincher.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back