• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which of your binoculars are the most "delicious" ones? (1 Viewer)

For me, generally speaking,

Leica are Morrison's cranberry pork pie
Zeiss are Saisnsbury's orange chocolate trifle
Nikon are Tesco's luxury mince pies
Swarovski are homemade tuna panini melt.

Hope that helps

;)
😂... Not sure if it helps. I had a good laugh anyway. I'd go with the growler, with no cranberries perhaps.

"Which of your binoculars are the most "delicious" ones?"
In a few words my answer is: It is the one that makes me go out in nature more often...
And now to detail a little
Nikon E2 8x30 and Zeiss SF 10x42 have the sweetest taste for me. Both share common qualities but also intrinsic characteristics. The colors have a attractive warm touch in E2 with a strong contrast. The three-dimensionality at E2 is fantastic. Of course SF being a roof does not have the same 3d effect, but still the stereoscopy is amazing for a roof binoculars. The apparent field of view and this 3d effect increase the feeling of immersion in these two binoculars. Nikon E2 is an extremely beautiful object itself...a mechanical and optical jewel (maybe only Leica binoculars come a little closer when it comes to design).
But the SF optical "taste" is perhaps stronger than E2 due to the good brightness and especially the fantastic resolution (in center and periphery). This resolving power is highlighted by the ideal ergonomics. Basically with SF I can benefit from the 10x power resolving resolution in the hands without shaking, their stability being similar to many 8x binoculars.

Last edited:
I am wondering about the topic here. There is not any relationship to binoculars and "delicious".
This is not a food show............
Jerry

Jerry... it's only a manner of speaking; a likeness in a sense, as a view may be as enticing to the eyes, as a bowl of beautiful fresh cut fruit may be delicious. That's all - a manner of speaking, a turn of phrase - nothing to dig too deeply into.

I have the impression that only Leicas provoke the sort of "delicious" aesthetic language jaf asked about (perhaps occasionally Meoptas also). Swaros are often called crisp or bright which sounds much less artsy; Zeisses are described in still more technical terms, resolution etc. The dialects of different tribes?

I have the impression that only Leicas provoke the sort of "delicious" aesthetic language jaf asked about (perhaps occasionally Meoptas also). Swaros are often called crisp or bright which sounds much less artsy; Zeisses are described in still more technical terms, resolution etc. The dialects of different tribes?
Leicas certainly inspired me to use that term. A bit of a bump in the red spectrum, a punch in saturation, a snap to the contrast, and a razor sharp image. It's delicious to mine eyes.

With your 10x32s, you know that view well. I've never used Nikon binoculars, but I've heard it said that the Nikon view is often akin to the Leica view? Same dialect - different tribes.

I think you may be right. I've possibly tested and compared more pairs of binoculars than our esteemed optics reviewers during 2021, and I've purchased two pairs, which, without any preconceived brand bias, both happen to be Leicas. I was only in the market for one pair of binoculars, some 10x to use as my go to every day bins, but...

I recently made the mistake (reference to another BF thread) of testing a pair of Ultravid 7x42 HD Plus bins, and had made the decision to purchase some within moments of picking them up, admiring their exquisite form, build and feel in the hand, and that simply DELICIOUS view when I raised them to my eyes. I don't think I've ever felt a shiver down my spine before, when testing a pair of binoculars for the first time. The view is unlike anything I've experienced previously, completely relaxed, addictive and endlessly revealing and captivating.

I absolutely didn't need these bins, but I just had to have them. The Leica Ultravid 7x42 HD Plus, my guilty (and totally unnecessary) pleasure. 🙂

Galih, if I had to decide which of my binoculars I like best, I'd name the UV 7x42s. But I do like the UV 8x20s' "taste" a bit better...

True. Very important parameters.

Jafritten, is it possible because of the 8x20 has a little bit darker image than 7x42 so the colors seem to be more saturated?

Best regards
Galih

I think you may be right. I've possibly tested and compared more pairs of binoculars than our esteemed optics reviewers during 2021, and I've purchased two pairs, which, without any preconceived brand bias, both happen to be Leicas. I was only in the market for one pair of binoculars, some 10x to use as my go to every day bins, but...

I recently made the mistake (reference to another BF thread) of testing a pair of Ultravid 7x42 HD Plus bins, and had made the decision to purchase some within moments of picking them up, admiring their exquisite form, build and feel in the hand, and that simply DELICIOUS view when I raised them to my eyes. I don't think I've ever felt a shiver down my spine before, when testing a pair of binoculars for the first time. The view is unlike anything I've experienced previously, completely relaxed, addictive and endlessly revealing and captivating.

I absolutely didn't need these bins, but I just had to have them. The Leica Ultravid 7x42 HD Plus, my guilty (and totally unnecessary) pleasure. 🙂
Bentley03... that is exactly the manner in which I myself acquired a pair of UVHD+ 7x42. I didn't really need them, but they immediately captivated me, right along with the UVHD+ 8x32 and 10x32.

Bentley03... that is exactly the manner in which I myself acquired a pair of UVHD+ 7x42. I didn't really need them, but they immediately captivated me, right along with the UVHD+ 8x32 and 10x32.
Fortunately, I'm on very safe ground as far as any possible temptation to try, and risk falling in love with, either of those x32's, because I'm a glasses wearer.

I was, in fact, originally looking for some 10x32's, but didn't really get on with any of the ones I tried, so gave up and concentrated on finding some x42's instead. That search ended the moment I picked up and looked through a 10x42 Noctivid, I knew immediately that I'd found my binocular.

I really should have stopped there, but I was still hankering after a more compact instrument for certain occasions, and decided it wouldn't do any harm checking out some 8x32's, which I suspected I might get on with better than 10x32's. And that's when I spotted the 7x42 UV HD+, because of it's relatively diminutive size. The rest, as they say, is history.

So, with a 10x42 Noctivid and a 7x42 Ultravid HD Plus, I feel my needs are more than adequately covered. There will be no further hits on my wallet in the foreseeable future.

Fortunately, I'm on very safe ground as far as any possible temptation to try, and risk falling in love with, either of those x32's, because I'm a glasses wearer.

I was, in fact, originally looking for some 10x32's, but didn't really get on with any of the ones I tried, so gave up and concentrated on finding some x42's instead. That search ended the moment I picked up and looked through a 10x42 Noctivid, I knew immediately that I'd found my binocular.

I really should have stopped there, but I was still hankering after a more compact instrument for certain occasions, and decided it wouldn't do any harm checking out some 8x32's, which I suspected I might get on with better than 10x32's. And that's when I spotted the 7x42 UV HD+, because of it's relatively diminutive size. The rest, as they say, is history.

So, with a 10x42 Noctivid and a 7x42 Ultravid HD Plus, I feel my needs are more than adequately covered. There will be no further hits on my wallet in the foreseeable future.
It is probably best that I'm not acquainted with the Noctivid, as my hunch is that once picking them up and raising to my eyes, I would be unable to resist pulling out the wallet! I do quite enjoy the 10x42 SF that I have... but even at that, Noctivid may easily win me over. o_O

I know that you're well set with your two Leicas, but if you ever get the urge for some x32, you might try 8x32 SF or 10x32 SF? They're wonderful bins, and may work well with your glasses.

Jafritten, is it possible because of the 8x20 has a little bit darker image than 7x42 so the colors seem to be more saturated?

Best regards
Galih
Galih, in bright daylight the 7x42s aren't any brighter than the 8x20s. The colours are not more saturated in the 8x20s. By the way, the 8x20s are surprisingly bright given their dimensions. They are a bit lower in contrast, naturally, more true to life I'd say than (my beloved) 7x42s which are larger than life in that respect.

Perception of colour is very subjective, so take it with a grain of salt. I'd say the 8x20s are a bit more on the cool side with a tad more blue and maybe a tad more towards magenta on the green-magenta axis, if you know what I mean. It's dark now in Europe, so I can't go outside and check again at the moment. I'm speaking from memory.

I like the punchy high contrast view of the 7x42s but I also like views that boast not as much contrast. I love the 8x20s' level of contrast in combiniation with their slightly different colour balance. Just a different "taste". Sorry for that awkward term.

It is probably best that I'm not acquainted with the Noctivid, as my hunch is that once picking them up and raising to my eyes, I would be unable to resist pulling out the wallet! I do quite enjoy the 10x42 SF that I have... but even at that, Noctivid may easily win me over. o_O

I know that you're well set with your two Leicas, but if you ever get the urge for some x32, you might try 8x32 SF or 10x32 SF? They're wonderful bins, and may work well with your glasses.
I'm actually very well aquatinted with all three of those. I really wanted to love the 10x42's, but for me, they simply didn't fit, or have the ease of use of the Conquest HD's, which I was on the verge of buying before I managed to test the Noctivid, which I bought there and then. But, I did have the feeling I was missing out on something by not going for the SF, the view through the Noctivid was a little tunnel-like when tested back to back with the SF. I returned the NV and used the TryZeiss programme to test the SF thoroughly for a couple of days to see if we could be compatible once we'd spent some time together. But no, so I repurchased the NV, which immediately felt completely comfortable, although the focus wheel had some play, enough for me to send them back, but I'm now the proud owner of a green NV with a focus wheel which I feel is every bit as good as the SF.

The 10x32 I struggled massively to position, and the 8x32 fell foul of a side by side test with the 7x42 Ultravid, which for me was no contest.

The beauty of the 10x42 SF I get completely, and that's the 10x42 I most wanted to own.

And just to add, if the Opticron Aurora had worked with both of my pairs of glasses, I wouldn't have even tested any alphas, that binocular is an absolute gem, and the view through it is quite definitely delicious.

I have been staying away from the Noctivids because I am afraid I couldn't resist them - just like you couldn't resist the 7x42s.

Can you compare your 7x42s to your Noctivids with regard to colour balance? I know they won't be too different but I have noticed that all the Leicas I had or have do have a different colour balance.

I have been staying away from the Noctivids because I am afraid I couldn't resist them - just like you couldn't resist the 7x42s.

Can you compare your 7x42s to your Noctivids with regard to colour balance? I know they won't be too different but I have noticed that all the Leicas I had or have do have a different colour balance.
I confess, I hadn't even considered comparing colour balance between them, until you asked, because it's definitely not one of the standout differences. I'm not at all confident I can tell you with any real accuracy, because for sure their balance of colours is very similar.

I would, maybe, perceive the Noctivid to have a more neutral (and natural) balance of colours, still with a degree of warmth, but perhaps a touch less than the Ultravid. Maybe more yellow and less red?

BUT, to what extent that is down to the Noctivid presenting a sharper, brighter and flatter image than the Ultravid, must be open to question, because I am not comparing instruments that share even similar specifications or characteristics. The lower magnification and slightly darker image of the Ultravid may naturally enhance the warmth of the image and accentuate the reds?

The Noctivid feels more refined, and presents a super sharp and crisp 'wow' image, the Ultravid provokes more 'ooh's' and 'aah's' and 'mmm's'. Make of that what you will, but any difference in colour balance is less defining in the nature of these two instruments than other characteristics.

I bought the Noctivid to replace my old 8x42's as my everyday binocular, a role it fulfills perfectly, it is 'my binocular', and my best binocular. My Ultravid, on the other hand, is the one I pick up and look through just for the sake of it, it is pure joy in the form of a binocular, and THAT is why I bought it. It is my favourite binocular.

Thank you for your valuable reply, Bentley.
My Ultravid, on the other hand, is the one I pick up and look through just for the sake of it, it is pure joy in the form of a binocular, and THAT is why I bought it. It is my favourite binocular.
I bought mine for a different reason but use it for the same purpose. It is my favourite binocular, too. I understand your mms and aahs and oohs very well.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back