• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Which plovers? Presqu'ile PP, Ontario (1 Viewer)

Gillian_M

Birding since 2006!
I went to Presqu'ile Provincial Park last weekend to enjoy the shorebird migration. This beautiful park is located on Lake Ontario between Kingston and Toronto.

I don't have much experience with Pluvialis plovers in the fall as they don't linger in Ottawa, where I'm from. They are most likely Black-bellied, the most common species during migration, but could any of them be American Golden-plovers? Can anyone confirm these guys' identities? I know the pictures aren't the best.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Presqu'ile 236 (3).jpg
    Presqu'ile 236 (3).jpg
    144 KB · Views: 84
  • Presqu'ile 265 (2).jpg
    Presqu'ile 265 (2).jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Presqu'ile 266 (2).jpg
    Presqu'ile 266 (2).jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 72
  • Presqu'ile 275 (2).jpg
    Presqu'ile 275 (2).jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Presqu'ile 327 (2).jpg
    Presqu'ile 327 (2).jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 60

Jim M.

Choose Civility
Hi Gillian,

Agree with Nick. As you may know, AGP usually, though not always, in drier, grassier areas than BBP. Note esp. the thick bills.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:

cavan wood

Worth looking for though. Apparently there were some American Golden Plovers there within the last couple of weeks. I was there two weeks ago and had 9 species of shorebird, including two lifers..but no AGP.

Scott

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread