• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which raptor - Stockholm region 20/6 (1 Viewer)

Macswede

Macswede
I think I know what this bird is but I'd rather not say just now. The problem is that what I thought I was photographing turned out to be something else entirely. Taken in very bright sunshine.
I had a look at the prey in several photographs and iI see webbed feet so I'm assuming it's a duckling of some sort. It was flying away from the lake we were heading for so that's not so odd.

Attachments

• 064A1177.jpg
    064A1177.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 241
Thanks Lou and Daniel!
That's what I thought. The weird thing as that while I was photographing it I thought it was a falcon. Of course I immediately realised it wasn't when I downloaded the pictures but I also lost confidence in my own judgement. I feel a bit better now.

I wish I could photograph birds a few days in advance Graham... might mean i could get some practise in before the day!!:-O

In some places that's possible, Delia. When I was at Lake Tåkern in October I got all my best Bearded reedling pictures on the final morning.

I wish I could photograph birds a few days in advance Graham... might mean i could get some practise in before the day!!:-O

In some places that's possible, Delia. When I was at Lake Tåkern in October I got all my best Bearded reedling pictures on the final morning.
It's a reference to the thread title - raptor photo taken in the Stockholm region on 20 June . . . and it's still only 18 June now. We all want that time machine 3:)

A fantastic shot Graham! I’ve managed good shots of immature Gos, but to date a good adult shot has eluded me...must try harder. :t:

Thanks Ken!
Best of luck with the Goshawk pictures. They're a lot commoner in Stockholm than in London I think. In Stockholm they hunt feral pigeons.

Yep - most of the ones reported in London are Sparrowhawks 3:)

They're still occurring occasionally in my neck of the woods Nutty, that withstanding, bloody difficult birds to see at the best of times. I'm in the forest most days and if we take the last ten years I've only ever seen a 'definite' single bird once whilst being on foot. However, living on a gradient (almost overlooking the canopy) probably half dozen times a year, as they singly use the narrow NEast/SWest forested conduit, through or just surfing the canopy.

Yes they have increased and there are a good number of outstanding records ''still'' coming from around the Capital which have not been submitted over the years to the relevant recorders.

Perhaps most observers are not going to waste time submitting (large Sparrowhawk) records to groups of individuals that have questionable or no experience of the species concerned.

Anyway best of luck with Sylvia nana if you ''break out'' :t:

Attachments

• Accip.7 April 14th 2013.jpg
    Accip.7 April 14th 2013.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back