• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Scope to Choose (1 Viewer)

Ed T

United States
Hello folks,

Happy to have joined this forum. You folks share great information.

I am searching for a new birdwatching scope. Would you please let me know your opinion on which scope would you select among the following and why:

Kowa TSN 773 25-60x 77mm
Nikon Monarch ED 20-60x 82mm
Vortex Razor 27-60x 85mm
Vortex Viper 20-60x 80mm
Celestron Regal M2 80ED 20-60x 80mm

You may have noticed that I have listed them from the most expensive to the least expensive. Is the performance of the most expensive scopes so far superior to the others that justifies the additional expense? For example, the Kowa TSN 773 is nearly 3X more expensive than the Celestron Regal, but is it 3X better?

Would you have any other suggestions on similar price range?

Thank you,

Ed

Hi there and a warm welcome to you . (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Hi Ed and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Hello folks,

I am searching for a new birdwatching scope. Would you please let me know your opinion on which scope would you select among the following and why:

Kowa TSN 773 25-60x 77mm
Vortex Razor 27-60x 85mm
Vortex Viper 20-60x 80mm

You may have noticed that I have listed them from the most expensive to the least expensive. Is the performance of the most expensive scopes so far superior to the others that justifies the additional expense? For example, the Kowa TSN 773 is nearly 3X more expensive than the Celestron Regal, but is it 3X better?

Thank you,

Ed
Ed...two scopes that I feel are missing and would rank above any of those.....Meopta and Swaro ATS. Both have helical focal wheels which I like (some don't)....but great scopes. The Meopta is a bit cheaper but wow, great quality and the Swaro is a Swaro...jim

Hello folks,

Kowa TSN 773 25-60x 77mm
Vortex Razor 27-60x 85mm
Vortex Viper 20-60x 80mm

Thank you,

Ed
Hi folks,
Thank you for the replies and suggestions. I ended getting a Kowa 883. It is awesome! See attached first pic.

Attachments

• IMG_1874.jpg
    IMG_1874.jpg
    657.3 KB · Views: 12
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back