• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Starling? Kruger Park, SA (1 Viewer)

MacBirdie

still a newbie...
Belgium
Below a Starling I saw in the Kruger Park, South Africa, in October 2018. Close to Berg-en Dal Rest camp, on the way to Crocodile Bridge. Could this be a Black-bellied Starling? Or just a Greater Blue-eared one? Sorry for the bad picture. Thanks!

Attachments

• Kruger18-94.jpg
    Kruger18-94.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 27
Hi again MacBirdie - I've moved your post to the ID forum, as it will recieve a wider audience of people able to help you.

Last edited:
Can you explain why please? I can't see why it isn't a Cape, or Greater Blue-eared. I also find them very difficult, especially without multiple shots from different angles showing how the colours change with the light.
Well i,m not an area expert , have base my opinion looking to my own pictures on Cape and Great Blue that show far more colorful and less darker birds and also looking to Sasol guide where Black billied looks the most similar to this picture , but as you said it can be the light and angle and only this picture might not be enough to make an accurate identification , i should have said maybe Black-bellied Starling.

Well i,m not an area expert , have base my opinion looking to my own pictures on Cape and Great Blue that show far more colorful and less darker birds and also looking to Sasol guide where Black billed looks the most similar to this picture , but as you said it can be the light and angle and only this picture might not be enough to make an accurate identification , i should have said maybe Black-bellied Starling.
I only have 1 picture. Location should be ok for Black-bellied. But I think Greater Blue-eared is more common.

Well i,m not an area expert , have base my opinion looking to my own pictures on Cape and Great Blue that show far more colorful and less darker birds and also looking to Sasol guide where Black billied looks the most similar to this picture , but as you said it can be the light and angle and only this picture might not be enough to make an accurate identification , i should have said maybe Black-bellied Starling.
I can just recall seeing an awful lot of starlings that appeared to have black bellies that weren't Black-bellied Starling, before eventually seeing real ones. The size difference was pretty noticeable as I recall.

I can just recall seeing an awful lot of starlings that appeared to have black bellies that weren't Black-bellied Starling, before eventually seeing real ones. The size difference was pretty noticeable as I recall.
I've looked at this closely Larry, I think structurally, it fits Black-bellied but they aren't common in Kruger, being mainly coastal, they are there though.

It's brighter than I'd expect, including the eye but it does seem to fit with a lot of the images I've looked at.

I've looked at this closely Larry, I think structurally, it fits Black-bellied but they aren't common in Kruger, being mainly coastal, they are there though.

It's brighter than I'd expect, including the eye but it does seem to fit with a lot of the images I've looked at.
Below the unprocessed image, only cropped. Very sunny day. If this helps. Thanks everybody!

Attachments

• Starling.jpg
    Starling.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 11
I only saw Black-bellied in thicker forest.....albeit at Wilderness on the south coast....so not sure if habitat can help

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back