• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which to Sell? (1 Viewer)

Rob from Texas

Ok, so with the final tune on the Torics, I now have 3 quality 10x42's. Although I really like them all, it might be time to part with one of them.
Aside from the Torics, I have the following:

20XX 10x42 Vortex Viper, made in Japan. Expertly refurbished by Vortex this year. Out-standing view and utility. Sharp as a tack, compact and light.

2021 10x42 Leica Trinovid HD. A CamerlandNY open box special. Paid $850. They were my go-to pair on my West Texas trip. Very bright and pleasant to use. Very fine and sharp focus, inviting, easy view.

I need to sell one of these, the other can be my back-up pair to the Tracts.

I need help deciding which goes, because I really like them both.

Last edited:
I wouldn't sell the Leica. It's the most state of the art binocular of the three.

Your MIJ Vortex Viper....I had the 8X42 and still have the 8X32....they really are good binoculars. I wish they were still to that standard. The Toric is a good one too. I say put those two on the classified and keep the one that doesn't sell first.

Ok, so with the final tune on the Torics, I now have 3 quality 10x42's. Although I really like them all, it might be time to part with one of them.
Aside from the Torics, I have the following:

20XX 10x42 Vortex Viper, made in Japan. Expertly refurbished by Vortex this year. Out-standing view and utility. Sharp as a tack, compact and light.

2021 10x42 Leica Trinovid HD. A CamerlandNY open box special. Paid $850. They were my go-to pair on my West Texas trip. Very bright and pleasant to use. Very fine and sharp focus, inviting, easy view.

I need to sell one of these, the other can be my back-up pair to the Tracts.

I need help deciding which goes, because I really like them both.

Rob,

Since the Tracts are your current pick of the three and you also want a back up, if your budget allows, IMO the best long term approach is to sell the Leica and Vortex and buy a used/discounted alpha 10x42. Otherwise, sell the Vortex which should fetch a reasonable price given MIJ and recently refurbished.

Mike

Rob,

Since the Tracts are your current pick of the three and you also want a back up, if your budget allows, IMO the best long term approach is to sell the Leica and Vortex and buy a used/discounted alpha 10x42. Otherwise, sell the Vortex which should fetch a reasonable price given MIJ and recently refurbished.

Mike
I’m guessing (I’m constantly checking the used/discounted market) selling the Leica and Vortex will fetch about $1,100, $1,200 max. What used/discounted alpha will that buy? Not to be flippant or condescending but I don’t think it will personally. Throw the Torics in and an El 10x42 is definately possible. Perhaps an SLC for $1,200 but I’m thinking op is thinking of buying a different format with the proceeds of the sale, whilst also keeping a backup pair of the 10x42s. If that’s the case I would sell the Leicas and look for a good deal on some Conquest 8x32s or even the Leica’s in 8x32. If money isn’t a big deal sell the Vipers. They typically go for about $350 used. I’ve seen the new ones, brand new in box, sell for $299 when Vortex goes to special events. I actually prefer the new MIC model. Wider field of view and better glass and coatings makes a big difference. QC isn’t the greatest but Vortex has incredible customer service and will also tune-up or replace a bino that isn’t quite right. Just my opinion but I op is asking for them.

Last edited:
I would sell the bins that get the least use. However you may want to consider whether you have had to use a backup binocular. If not this may be an opportunity eliminate duplication in sizes and free up some money for a different size bin.

I’m guessing (I’m constantly checking the used/discounted market) selling the Leica and Vortex will fetch about $1,100, $1,200 max. What used/discounted alpha will that buy? Not to be flippant or condescending but I don’t think it will personally. Throw the Torics in and an El 10x42 is definately possible. Perhaps an SLC for $1,200 but I’m thinking op is thinking of buying a different format with the proceeds of the sale, whilst also keeping a backup pair of the 10x42s. If that’s the case I would sell the Leicas and look for a good deal on some Conquest 8x32s or even the Leica’s in 8x32. If money isn’t a big deal sell the Vipers. They typically go for about $350 used. I’ve seen the new ones, brand new in box, sell for $299 when Vortex goes to special events. I actually prefer the new MIC model. Wider field of view and better glass and coatings makes a big difference. QC isn’t the greatest but Vortex has incredible customer service and will also tune-up or replace a bino that isn’t quite right. Just my opinion but I op is asking for them.

I was thinking sell the Leica and Vortex for a combined $1100 to 1200 to defray the cost (thus the phrase "if your budget allows") of a used alpha, e.g. there is a used 10x42 SW SV FP with cosmetic issues and a missing objective cover and a pre SV SW 10x42 on the auction site each for @ $1599, although my uneducated guess is the latter is somewhat overpriced and all the usual caveats apply. I may have mistakenly assumed that the OP definitely wanted two 10x42s , a favorite and a less expensive backup because I do the same thing with my preferred formats.

It is good to know that you prefer the MIC Vortex as I am a fan of the brand and especially the customer service but only have older MIJ versions.

Mike

How much more do you love the Tracts vs the Leicas?

Since I sold you that pair you have, which I received brand new as a replacement for the prior pair which developed focus problems, the fact that they have also developed focus problems is somewhat concerning to me. Kudos to them for taking care of you, as they took care of me, but that’s a lot of focus failures.

If you like the view of both the Leica and Tract somewhat equally, I would stick with the Leica. Just feels like a more solid long term bet.

If you are dead set on keeping the Tract, the Viper seems like the perfect backup bin. Light and compact, MIJ quality, Vortex warranty there if needed.

For me, the Leica is too good to be a backup, and it will fetch around double the price of the Vortex... I would only keep the Leica as the backup if it will really get a lot of use, in which case the Leica is still quite compact and light for a 42mm, and more rugged than the Viper.

If it were me, and 10x42 was my format of choice, I would keep the Viper as the backup, sell the Tract and Leica, and consolidate my resources into a used alpha 10x42 like a Leica Ultravid HD or Swarovski SLC.

I would sell them all and put the money toward the best of whichever format you decide you will use the most.

You will have to define "the best" for yourself by trying the available models.

If I were in your "shoes", I would keep Trinovid 10x42 only! And after selling the other two 10x42 binos I would buy a good 8x binoculars in a smaller format (32mm, 25mm or even 20mm). The smaller 8x format will make the team better with your 10x42.
So, it's easy for me, I would sell the Vortex if I still want to keep two 10x42 pairs!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back