• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Turtle Dove? Iran, Khorasan-e Jonobi, Nov. 2022 (1 Viewer)

Pedrambirder

Iran
Hi all,
These two shots belong to one of our bird watchers, Mr. Samii.
I tried to modify saturation and warmth of his shots, so attached both files.
It would be fine to know some keys for ID, between Rufous & European, if possible.
I tried to find some pictures of Juvenile (S. o. meena), but couldn't find any...

Attachments

• IMG-20220727-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20220727-WA0000.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG-20220727-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20220727-WA0001.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 67
  • Polish_20220727_111631224.png
    Polish_20220727_111631224.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 64
  • Polish_20220727_105038049.png
    Polish_20220727_105038049.png
    875.2 KB · Views: 67
Oriental for me too - the eye has a circular orbital ring rather than a leaf-shaped one as in European. Also, as Dawsy says, lots of dark centres to the scapulars, etc.

Thanks for your comments @Dawsy , @THE_FERN & @andyb39
I have the same idea as you all said for same reasons, but also there is a doubt about the width of the white band on the tail, could it be an important key for an European one or normal to be seen in Oriental?

Thanks for your comments @Dawsy , @THE_FERN & @andyb39
I have the same idea as you all said for same reasons, but also there is a doubt about the width of the white band on the tail, could it be an important key for an European one or normal to be seen in Oriental?
There is a difference between the two races, meena and orientalis, in the coloration of the tail band, so I suspect that your question is related solely to meena, which I guess is also the race you get in Iran, and also the race I am most familiar with from Central Asia, including my trip to Uzbekistan this May.

I saw both species, although European was by far the rarer of the two. However I have to admit that I didn't notice any real difference in tail band width and certainly wouldn't claim one on this feature alone.

There is a difference between the two races, meena and orientalis, in the coloration of the tail band, so I suspect that your question is related solely to meena, which I guess is also the race you get in Iran, and also the race I am most familiar with from Central Asia, including my trip to Uzbekistan this May.

I saw both species, although European was by far the rarer of the two. However I have to admit that I didn't notice any real difference in tail band width and certainly wouldn't claim one on this feature alone.
Thank you,
Yes exactly, by Oriental in my last comment, I meant Streptopelia orientalis meena which is possible to be seen in Iran, as you also mentioned correctly.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back