• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Which type of frogmouth? (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone, I saw this frogmouth at a park on the Gold Coast in Queensland. I had assumed it was a tawny frogmouth, but then I saw there was another type, the marbled frogmouth.

I cannot tell the difference because I live in South Australia so I'd only ever seen the tawny before.

Can anyone help confirm which frogmouth this is, and also what features helped you confirm which one it is?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Frogmouth.jpg
    Frogmouth.jpg
    10.2 MB · Views: 17

THE_FERN

Hi everyone, I saw this frogmouth at a park on the Gold Coast in Queensland. I had assumed it was a tawny frogmouth, but then I saw there was another type, the marbled frogmouth.

I cannot tell the difference because I live in South Australia so I'd only ever seen the tawny before.

Can anyone help confirm which frogmouth this is, and also what features helped you confirm which one it is?

Thanks in advance!
Looks like tawny. Marbled would have a longer tail and apparently longer tuft of bristles in above the bill. It would also have a "marbled" pattern to the underparts—yours has streaks.

Users who are viewing this thread