• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Which warbler? Zonguldak,Turkey (1 Viewer)

Kabacallo

Turkey
Can you please help me identify this bird? Is it willow warbler or another kind? Are the wings short for a wood warbler? Taken on April 7 this year.

Attachments

• 2K5A6864.jpg
    2K5A6864.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 55

Alexander Stöhr

Agree with Butty and Pat, its a Willow Warbler, clear browhnish/buffish hues excludes a Wood Warbler. Most Wood Warbler show a different head pattern with paler ear-coverts and a more contrasting eye-stripe.
But yes, the pp is monster for a Willow Warbler. I even checked the bird for a Marsh Warbler, but it isnt one with clear citrine-yellow hues on supercilium and clear green hues on mantle and a head pattern good for a Willow Warbler.
Can this Willow Warbler be identified as belonging to one of the two eastern ssp with confidence just by extreme pp?

Grahame Walbridge

Can this Willow Warbler be identified as belonging to one of the two eastern ssp with confidence just by extreme pp?
No, not unquivocally Alexander, though a pp of >75% is a good indicator and the location (+ long pp) would suggest acredula as the most likely taxon. Emarginated 3,4,5 & p2=p5/6 confirm identification as WW, in addition to appearance i.e plumage and bare parts.

Grahame

Alexander Stöhr

No, not unquivocally Alexander, though a pp of >75% is a good indicator and the location (+ long pp) would suggest acredula as the most likely taxon. Emarginated 3,4,5 & p2=p5/6 confirm identification as WW, in addition to appearance i.e plumage and bare parts.

Grahame
Thank you Grahame for the fast reply to my question!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread