• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whinchat/Stonechat? (Notts, UK) (1 Viewer)

NKR2017

From this morning, on farmland.

Closest ID I can get from my birding book is maybe a whinchat or stonechat?

(NB: The photos were taken a few hours apart in the same area, so may or may not be the same exact bird).

Attachments

• ChatsQuery.jpg
    ChatsQuery.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 109
Hello,
both are Whinchats. please note prominent supercilium, the right blotchy spotting to the breast and the right colours for this species. Many female-typed Stonechats wouldnt show such a contrasting uniform pale throat, but thts not a sure foolproof ID criteria

Edit: again to late, agree with Rafael

Thanks both and for the additional information Alexander.

(Given my birdwatching trips are limited to places I can get to by foot, I'm pretty pleased to have seen a new species!)

(Given my birdwatching trips are limited to places I can get to by foot, I'm pretty pleased to have seen a new species!)
Excellent local patch tick, certainly! Last 2 weeks of August and the first week of September are the best time for them (tho' odd ones can be earlier, or later).

The on-foot limit for covid avoidance? Worth thinking about getting a bike, to extend your range a bit - that's how I get around :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back