• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Whistling For Backyard Titmice (1 Viewer)

Mr_K

Hello.

I live in Austin Texas. I have noticed this winter that the backyard tufted titmice seem to enjoy song/whistling contests. When they sing their 3 to 6 note song, I respond back with a whistle of the same notes. They often change up the number of notes but usually they start their response immediately after I finish. And each individual note is of the same length and pitch. They are also more active in the morning though one just finished with me this early evening for about a minute.

I have had a few Carolina Chickadees engage in a duet. Titmice more than any other species like to whistle in pace with me.

I have a peanut feeder on my porch which the titmice like to dive into and take a nut from. But when they are looking at the feeder from a nearby branch they usually do not whistle.

Anyone else whistles to their titmice? Thanks.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia

Users who are viewing this thread