• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White Breasted Nuthatch setting up shop (1 Viewer)

danehower

- Pretty exciting for me. I built and placed this nest box about 5 years ago and the only taker to this point was a dear mouse that jumped on my chest when I went to check the box about 2 years ago. Today,I was suprised to see a WB nuthatch bringing in some nesting material and displaying some interesting behavior. Best part, is that this box is easly viewed from my chair in my hobbit hole of a house! - I dont even have to move too much to see the action 3:) - lol

Attachments

• nuthatch nest1.jpg
    nuthatch nest1.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 95
  • nuthatch nest 2.jpg
    nuthatch nest 2.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 103
  • nuthatch nest3.jpg
    nuthatch nest3.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
I see you found it ;)

It's always so very exciting to see a bird set up housekeeping in one of your nestboxes. Just wait til you see the little ones fledge. They are soooooo cute.

Worth waiting fot then Dave? I look forward to getting a few progress reports as thay go along. Get those feet up a glass of malt and start observing [its a tough life].LOL.

Oh I am so jealous. I have been trying to attract a nuthatch pair into nest boxes for several years. Keep us up to date on their progress.

John

Congrats, Dave. Hopefully, they or their progeny will keep returning in the coming years. Please keep us posted, will be fun to tag along on this.

Aye an update is MANDATORY! Lol! Took me a while to find this thread dude, but I'm glad I did! Talk soon man...

Thanks for all your responses folks! - The male has been alot of fun today - he has been doing alot of "beattle sweeping" on the nest box itself but also on some of the natural cavities that are on the tree. In addition he got a little crazy and started to spread his wings out while on top of the box - kind of like a threat dispay. Afterward he looked all tired and just sat on top of the box for quite a long time.:scribe:

Attachments

• nuthatch house!.jpg
    nuthatch house!.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 87
  • nuthatch house 2.jpg
    nuthatch house 2.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 101
  • nuthatch stretch.jpg
    nuthatch stretch.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 108
  • nuthatch wings.jpg
    nuthatch wings.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 95
  • nuthatch rest.jpg
    nuthatch rest.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Thanks for the update, Dave. In the 3rd and 4th it looks like he's bowing to an audience after his performance.

Lisa W said:
Thanks for the update, Dave. In the 3rd and 4th it looks like he's bowing to an audience after his performance.
LOL Lisa! - I like that - mabey that was what it was - he certainly put on a performance :bounce: - take care,dave;)

Hi Dave what a nice bird. Thats cool as can be. Have you any idea how long thay take to lay and incubate n fledge? Have there been others about showing intrest?

dafi said:
Hi Dave what a nice bird. Thats cool as can be. Have you any idea how long thay take to lay and incubate n fledge? Have there been others about showing intrest?
dafi, that is a real good question - and it has inspired me to do some reaserch.
My book says that the WB nuthatch incubates for 12 days by the female only - nest matrials are made of bark,grasses,rootlets,and fur. They lay about 5-10 white w/brown speckled eggs. The nesting phase is about 14 days - and the fledgling phase about 2 weeks. - Now I feel like a pro - lol ! damn I am lazy - glad you got me to pick up that book - lol - take care man, and thanks for the response!B :) 3:)

An update on Family Nuthatch - the male has been dominant at the feeder, when I get home from work he is the first bird to land on a tree next to me. I observed him displaying the strange "wing spread" threat display thing again yesterday - and shortly afterward the female returned.:scribe: - notice the leaves are green now

Attachments

• nut H.jpg
    nut H.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 78
  • nuthatch1.jpg
    nuthatch1.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 67
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back