• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White-letter Hairstreak (1 Viewer)

Britseye

Two summers ago (August) I photographed a White-letter Hairstreak in the Lynher Valley, Cornwall that was of interest to locals since it was only about the third confirmed record of the species in Cornwall in the past twenty years. Last year (first week of July) I saw another one. I'm keen this year to spend some time actively seeking the species to see if I can find more than one. Can anyone tell me the earliest dates they've seen them on the wing in areas where they are more regular? Thanks

Thanks for the heads-up, folks. Spent a little time yesterday morning looking at the two patches of flowering bramble where I've seen them previously. No sign yet. Mind you, Friday and Saturday represented the first two days the sun had been out down here for almost a fortnight.

Off to a local mothing session at dawn.

:t: It's always hardest to keep going a week either side of the shortest night, I find! I'm doing sugar solutions rather than lights at the mo - still keeps me up until at least one-thirty in the morning and can never lie-in much beyond six.

Probably of total irrelevance to Cornwall, but the first White-lettered Hairstreaks flying here in Lithuania this weekend, along with Ilex and Black Hairstreaks, this surely of even less relevance to Cornwall :)

Hi Graham - I'm sure you know this but where I used to see them regularly late afternoon/evening was the best time to see them down on brambles - during the day you had to scan the tops of elms with binoculars

Hi Graham - I'm sure you know this but where I used to see them regularly late afternoon/evening was the best time to see them down on brambles - during the day you had to scan the tops of elms with binoculars

Thanks, Dave. Yes, I'm sort of aware of that but appreciate confirmation that they do come down again in the afternoons since the only two I've seen have been around 9am. I've mostly been checking 8am-9am so far, tending to turn attention to looking for displaying Purple Hairstreaks in my late afternoon walks. Haven't seen any of them yet this year either.

I looked at Devon Birds for the first time in a while, just to check the White-letter Hairstreak records there. They are regularly seen just across the Tamar from me in Central Park, Plymouth, but it seems from other comments in the recent sightings, the species is almost as infrequently seen in Devon as it is in Cornwall.

Though I have a couple of good sites for WLH locally, today I was co-leading a butterfly (+ general natural history) walk at Ruislip Woods where we had 18 butterfly species. Most unexpected at the end was a White-letter Hairstreak at eye-level nectaring on some Dittander at the south end of the Lido, Not sure where the nearest elm is?

More expected where Purple emperor, Purple Hairstreak, White Admiral + Silver-washed Fritillary

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back