• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whitethroat / Reed Warbler Peterborough UK (1 Viewer)

ozil321

Hi everyone.
Could somebody help with these pics please?
The first one was 3 weeks ago and I thought it was a Whitethroat.
The other pics were taken at the same spot yesterday and I thought (hopefully) that they were Reed Warblers, but they seem very similar to the first pic.
To complicate things for me, a slightly smaller darker bird joined the last pic.

Attachments

• IMG_0904 (4).jpg
    IMG_0904 (4).jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1485 (2).JPG
    IMG_1485 (2).JPG
    235.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1488 (3).jpg
    IMG_1488 (3).jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1491 (2).jpg
    IMG_1491 (2).jpg
    178 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1492 (2).jpg
    IMG_1492 (2).jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 44
I agree with Pat, Common Whitethroats, by for example orange-rufous wing panel.
But there is a Lesser Whitethroat hiding among them: first picure shows a bird with dark toes, uniform cold-brown wings and a sooty grey head and an (at least nearly) all dark bill. So first is a Lesser Whitethroat
More small, incomplete eye-ring is also better for Lesser

Last edited:
I agree with Pat, Common Whitethroats, by for example orange-rufous wing panel.
But there is a Lesser Whitethroat hiding among them: first picure shows a bird with dark toes, uniform cold-brown wings and a sooty grey head and an (at least nearly) all dark bill. So first is a Lesser Whitethroat
More small, incomplete eye-ring is also better for Lesser

Vielen Dank mein Freund:t:

This bird was in the same bush. Is the quality good enough for an ID? Still hoping for a Reed Warbler |=)|

Attachments

• IMG_0906 (3).JPG
    IMG_0906 (3).JPG
    248.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0907 (3).JPG
    IMG_0907 (3).JPG
    226.8 KB · Views: 21
Agree with Pat again. Please note really blackish (not dark) legs, short PP, that are good characters against Willow. Reed can be excluded by notched (not rounded tail), clear green tones (not olive-BROWN in the most similar Reeds) and to slender bill are all wrong for a Reed Warbler.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back