• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who here uses a monopod for viewing? (2 Viewers)

Anybody here use a monopod? What's your setup? Do you like using one?

I like the idea of a monopod rather than the tripod. Tripod seems bulky and time consuming to setup/break down. I'd mainly be using the monopod to take on day hikes and for back deck bird watching.

What kind of attachment system should I get? I'd like to maximize my freedom of motion while attached so is there some sort of ball/socket type attachment? I've seen the velcro strap system to hold the bins down which I really like b/c it seems easiest to take on and off. I don't really want to have to fool with screw on/off system although that definitely seem sturdy.

I'm trying to do some research but having a hard time finding exactly what I'm picturing in my head! The binocular

Thanks! (y)
I've been using my version, called a FISMO, since 2005 and posted my thoughts HERE and several other threads. (FISMO means FInn-Stick-MOnopod.) No attachment is needed since the binocular is simply balanced (perched) on the top with the neck strap in use. Swaro SLCs and many other binoculars work well with this device. Nowadays I don't go anywhere without a walking stick anyway.

Ed

Last edited:
For anyone interested I just purchased a very low-cost replacement for my monopod from Amazon. It works well. Search for:

Ameristep 4NAB008 Hunting Range Gear Monopods.​

Ed

My wife and I use a walking pole each to steady ourselves when making our way over uneven or slippery ground, rocks, seaweed etc. My pole isn't long enough to use it as a monopod while standing, but when sitting down I often use it to steady my binos by gripping both it and my binos with my left hand at the same time as my right hand grips the binos and works the focus. For prolongued observation this makes for a much steadier image and prior to getting IS lenses I occasionally used this technique to help steady a DSLR/Macro lens.

Lee

Anybody here use a monopod? What's your setup? Do you like using one?

I like the idea of a monopod rather than the tripod. Tripod seems bulky and time consuming to setup/break down. I'd mainly be using the monopod to take on day hikes and for back deck bird watching.

What kind of attachment system should I get? I'd like to maximize my freedom of motion while attached so is there some sort of ball/socket type attachment? I've seen the velcro strap system to hold the bins down which I really like b/c it seems easiest to take on and off. I don't really want to have to fool with screw on/off system although that definitely seem sturdy.

I'm trying to do some research but having a hard time finding exactly what I'm picturing in my head!

Thanks! (y)
Great idea! I looked into this idea as well. The problem has been solved - what no one is saying here is you can simply get some
Canon IS bins and not need the monopod. I tested all of the best bins; with image stabilization, the Canons were by far the best. Their optics are fantastic objectively as well. I recommend being an independent thinker and simply trying them yourself.

I use an 'ifootage carbon fibre cobra 2' monopod for several reasons. one is because due to illness it can double up as a walking staff when needed and because mIne has a very good 3 legged base which when sitting takes the weight of my binoculars/camera from around my kneck.
It may stand unsupported but I personally I wouldn't take the chance.

Meat.

Above is a photo of my monopod with a tilt pan head, Z plate and bino adapter. Z plate let's you get way above your head and keep monopod away from your face.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back