• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who was Mrs. Hartert? (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
How solid is the commemoration of the synonymous "claudia" (syn. Heliangelus clarisse, according to the HBW Alive Key).

… claimed to commemorate "Claudia Hartert née Reinard, wife of German ornithologist Ernst Hartert". [the German ornithologist; Ernst Johann Otto Hartert (1859-1933)]

The same goes for the invalid Generic name "Claudia" and claidiae [i.e. in the debated species (or subspecies) Phylloscopus (reguloides) clauidae LA TOUCHE 1922 a k a "Claudia's Leaf-Warbler", OD for the latter here which only says: "Named in honour of Mrs. Hartert."].

Why I ask is that I happened to read the following quote (here):
[…] Ernst Hartert war seit 1891 mit Claudia Endris verheiratet, die ihn überlebte; das einzige Kind aus dieser Ehe, der Sohn Joachim Karl (*1893), fiel 1916 als englischer Soldat an der Somme. […]
Anyone know the true name of Mrs. Hartert?

Or was he married twice? To two different Claudia's?

If not; who´s got it the wrong way?

Also compare with the entry for Ernst Hartert, in Deutsche Biographie (here)

I have no time to read the full text right now, but does this article help? (I assume it's behind a pay-wall and you need to belong to a subscribed academic institution to gain access without paying.

Andrea

I think that the last name was a wrong conclusion of Harterts renaming Genus Claudia to Rainarda. It is not clear to me why he has choosen Rainarda instead, but Rainard is usually a male first name as well as a last name.

Attachments

• hartert.jpg
    hartert.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
And Stresemann wrote in "Ornithology from Aristotle to the Present":

A few days after the letter arrived Hartert married Claudia Endres and they moved to England, without imagining that it would be their home for the next 38 years, because there was nothing to suggest

Attachments

• hartert2.jpg
    hartert2.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 74
OD auf Genus Claudia is as well no help. One additional thought maybe her original name was Claudia Reinarda Endres (or Endris) which is mentioned here:

La specie Tachornis squamata (Cassin 1853) [in francese Martinet claudia] è dedicata a Reinard Claudia Endris (nessun dato) moglie di Hartert, sposata nel 1891 e dalla quale ebbe un unico figlio Joachim Karl (* 1893).
Nota tassonomica:
Hartert en 1915, il réalise que ce nom existe déjà pour un insecte et le change en Reinarda [Reinarda squamata].

Last edited:
Well found, Martin!

And: Thanks, that´s what I thought!

= Claudia Bernadine Elisabeth Hartert (1863–1958), born Endris*, that married Ernst Hartert in 1891 and followed him to England … and then survived him by 25 years.

*I choose (until proven wrong) to trust Deutsche Biographie (link, post No.1), they´re usually right (as is Stresemann!?) regarding the spelling of her Maiden name.

Any other opinions?

Or even any other better sources? Or possibly an explanation of the origin of the "Reinard" (Reinarda) claims?
In my MS it´s the name Reinarda that has "No explanation".

Unfortunately, due to my lack of understanding German I will not be able to check it further than this.

Please don´t hesitate to prove me wrong! In any part.
x

Last edited:
Hi Björn, to make it al little bit more complicated I contacted the archive in Coesfeld. Unfortunatelly it is closed at the moment but I got the hint to check the Ortsfamilienbuch Coesfeld. And surprise, surprise there is another variation even on Claudia.

Claudine Bernardine Elisabeth Endriss born 21.06.1863 in Coesfeld.

Maybe the root of Reinard (Reinarda) is related to Tom Iredale (1880-1972) or Charles Chubb (1851-1924) as they indicated that Claudia is pre-occupied. Who knows?

Last edited:
Reinarda

Sorry to re-open this slumbering thread ... some old notes to get sorted.

Maybe the root of Reinard (Reinarda) is related to Tom Iredale (1880-1972) or Charles Chubb (1851-1924) as they indicated that Claudia is pre-occupied. Who knows?

Apparently (according to Wiki) the name of Tom Iredale's wife was Alice Maud (née Atkinson). Charles Chubb had two: Ada (née Albion) and Alice Mabel (née Baker).

Today's HBW Alive Key have the following entry on this generic name:
Reinarda
(syn. Tachornis Ϯ Fork-tailed Palm Swift T. squamata) "Both Mr. Tom Iredale and Mr. Charles Chubb have called my attention to the unfortunate fact that the very nice generic name Claudia (Cat. B. Brit. Mus. xvi. p. 469, 1892), monotype Claudia squamata (Cass.), is preoccupied, and have urged me to propose a new one in its place. I herewith introduce for it the apparently new generic term Reinarda,genotype Reinarda squamata (Cass.)." (Hartert 1915). Claudia Hartert, 1892, is preoccupied by Claudia Stål, 1865, in Insecta. Wynne 1969, lists the eponym as Claudia Hartert née Reinard, wife of Ernst Hartert. However, recent investigation has shown that Claudia's maiden name was Endris, so the origin of Reinarda is still unsettled [...]
And John Cassin's wife was Hannah, (née Wright), here or here.

No Miss/Mrs Reinarda, or a Mr Reinard, in sight!

Reinarda babble ...

Once again sticking my neck out! When dealing with Latin ... let´s return to the genotype of Reinarda:

• the Fork-tailed Palm-Swift Tachornis squamata CASSIN 1853 as "Cypselus squamatus" (here)

... which leads us to Cassin's "Catalogue of the Hirundinidæ in the Collection of the Academy" [...of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia], Appendix, at the end of the same Journal; here, and here.

Also compare with its Scientific name Claudia squamata (Claudia, Hartert 1892, here), commemorating Mrs Hartert, Claudia Hartert [hence Claudiasegler (in German) I assume], later renamed by Hartert (1915), as Claudia was preoccupied (by a bug, in Heteroptera), to the name in question, the all unexplained Generic name Reinarda (squamata), here.

Could the Generic name Reinarda possibly, somehow (?), be coined from the Latin word arda/ardus (dry/dried/arid/shriveled/ parched/thirsty), as in re-in-arda (reinstated as/in arda).From three old dried-out specimens?

Or simply, a silent protest, by Hartert: re-inarda (inardus, Empty, foolishness).

Just an idea?

Also compare with (yet another, even bigger, long-shot!): the Medieval beast fable "Ysengrimus" and the deceptive trickster "Reinardus". As it apparently was quite tricky to find its Gender?

Or maybe nothing but some useless guesses, pure speculations, from a Non-Latin Swede ... ;)

Björn
--

Last edited:
On Hartert's son's grave his Mother is Claudia E. R. Hartert.
E is for Elisabeth and R for Reinhard.
https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/111881/HARTERT, JOACHIM CHARLES .
A thought: From wikipedia : In many countries, it is customary for a person being confirmed in some dioceses of Roman Catholic Church and in some Anglican dioceses to adopt a new name, generally the name of a biblical character or saint, thus securing an additional patron saint as protector and guide. This new name would be used after your present middle name and before your family name.
"Blessed Reinhard of Reinhausen"

Last edited:
E is for Elisabeth and R for Reinhard.
Mark, how do you know this?

But your thought on an added "patron" name is a possibility, on this I can agree, as she was a devoted believer. After Ernst had died in 1933, Claudia moved to the Netherlands (in 1939), and spent her last years in a monastery. But ... would she have had/used this "patron" name already in 1915?

Either way; curious on your self-confident statement above. Simply as I've found it nowhere. ;)

Björn

PS. Note that the (German) name of their Son was Joachim Karl a k a Charles, in England. The latter was how he became known as enlisted in WW1.
--

Last edited:
But ... would she have had/used this "patron" name already in 1915?
Or is it the other way around, and would "Bernardine" be an added name...? On her Dutch death record:
she appears as "Endris, Claudia Bernardine Elisabeth".

What is clear in any case, is that "Claudia Bernardine Elisabeth" conflicts with the "Claudia E. R." in her son's grave registration report. Unless one of these is plain wrong (but both appear on what seems to be official documents), her name must have changed at some point in her life.
And it is also clear that 'R' is the initial of Reinarda, which Hartert introduced to replace Claudia...

Last edited:
If we look at the text Ernst Hartert – Eine Erinnerung (from 1984), all in German:

Auch nach der Übersiedlung nach Berlin 1930 hatte Frau CLAUDIA HARTERT die englische Staatsangehörigkeit beibehalten. Vielleicht war es Miss PHYLLIS BARCLAY-SMITH (1902–1980), die hilfsbereite britische Ornithologin, die Frau HARTERT den Weg ebnete, wegen der in Deutschland ständig wachsenclen Schwierigkeiten 1939 ihren Wohnsitz in die Niederlande zu verlegen, wo sie zunächst im Altenheim St. Willebrodus in Wassenaar eine vorübergehende Bleibe fand; aber schon am 21.8. 1940 verzog sie in das ehemalige Altenheim St. Carolus in Hilversum, wo sie am 24.8. 1958 im hohen Alter von 95 Jahren verstarb. Sie hatte dort unter ihrem ins Niederländische übersetzten Mädchennamen gelebt und ist auch in Hilversum beerdigt worden (G. A. BROUWER † u. M. J. TEKKE briefl.). Ihr zu Ehren benannte HARTERT 1892 eine Segler-Gattung Claudia, die er 1915 in Reinarda umbenannte, weil Claudia bereits 1865 durch STÅL praeokkupiert war. Nach seiner Frau benannte HARTERT 1895 den Kolibri Heliangelus claudia (vielleicht keine selbständige Art, sondern nur Aberration von Hel. clarisse?), von SIMON (1897) in claudiae geändert. Auch die Dedikation claudiae, wie LA TOUCHE (Bull Brit. Orn. C. 43, 1922: 22) eine Subspezies von Phylloscopus reguloides nannte, dürfte Frau HARTERT gewidmet sein.

[by Herbert Ringleben, in Journal für Ornithologie 125 (Heft 1), p.84 (1984), here]
If of any help?

Maube there´s a Reinard/a to be found earlier on in the Chapter; Zur Genealogie der Familie HARTERT ... ?

Björn

PS. Could the name of "Heinrich Karl Wilhelm Bernhard Hartert", born in 1865, (Ernst younger Brother?), who apparently died in 1915(!), in the same year as this bird was renamed, possibly have been Reinhard ... ?!?
--

Last edited:
Apparently James found it sufficient ... as today's updated HBW Alive Key suddenly tells us:
Reinarda
(syn. Tachornis Ϯ Fork-tailed Palm Swift T. squamata) Claudia Bernadine Elisabeth Reinard Hartert née Endris (1863-1958) wife of German ornithologist Ernst Hartert (cf. Wynne 1969, lists the eponym as Claudia Hartert née Reinard, wife of Ernst Hartert); "Both Mr. Tom Iredale and Mr. Charles Chubb have called my attention to the unfortunate fact that the very nice generic name Claudia (Cat. B. Brit. Mus. xvi. p. 469, 1892), monotype Claudia squamata (Cass.), is preoccupied, and have urged me to propose a new one in its place. I herewith introduce for it the apparently new generic term Reinarda, genotype Reinarda squamata (Cass.)." (Hartert 1915). Claudia Hartert, 1892, is preoccupied by Claudia Stål, 1865, in Insecta (Björn Bergenholtz, Martin Schneider and Mark Brown in litt.)
I wonder, based on what? Isn't that an odd name for a lady? Or was she possibly married before she met Ernst Hartert (whom she married in 1891)?

Either way; until proven otherwise, I will chose to trust Claudia's Dutch Death record, ably (and conveniently) found by Laurent :t: (all in accordance with post #7"). In my book Reinarda remains unexplained.

For what it´s worth.

Björn

PS. Regardless of her (original) full name; apparently Claudia was into birds herself, not only a silent companion, as she co-authored the OD of:
• the subspecies Chalybura urochrysia intermedia, described by "Ernst Hartert and Cl. Hartert", in 1894, as "Chalybura intermedia" (here).

And here´s her own account of their trip to the West Indies, published in the German Journal Die Gefiederte Welt, 1893.
--

Last edited:
Martin found Claudine Bernardine Elisabeth Endriss born 21.06.1863 in Coesfeld.in the Ortsfamilienbuch Coesfeld. So I think Bernardine was given at birth. Claudia E. R. Hartert is her name in several sources around the time of her son's death. Local English lists of the dead etc. A confirmation name need not match the gender of the person. In my town there are many Mexican American men with Maria as their confirmation name. The name is given at app. 12. As to the death certificate; it is a civil document but the confirmation name is at least in California not recognized civilly. Did she lose Hartert name after he died? I thin the death certificate mirrored the birth name. There is a long personal history written and oral that Ernst renamed the bird after his wife and that one of her names was Reinhard. I like that we are talking about this couple. I read that Stressman's ashes are buried with Ernst Hartert!

Last edited:
I read that Stressman's ashes are buried with Ernst Hartert!

Correct. See their grave stone.

Funny that I found due to this thread that there are two volumes in German language with title Die Bedeutung historischer Vogelnamen. Might be worth to read.

And this was just because there is written:

Um Letzteres ging es in einem Wissenschaftker-Disput zwischen den deutschen Ornithologen Otto Kleinschmidt und Ernst Hartet, C. L.Brehm hatte 1858 die Theklalerche als eigene Art neben der Haubenlerche beschrieben.

But it is not about Claudia. The CL is of course from Christian Ludwig Brehm.

Last edited:
A thought: From wikipedia : In many countries, it is customary for a person being confirmed in some dioceses of Roman Catholic Church and in some Anglican dioceses to adopt a new name, generally the name of a biblical character or saint, thus securing an additional patron saint as protector and guide. This new name would be used after your present middle name and before your family name.
"Blessed Reinhard of Reinhausen"
A confirmation name need not match the gender of the person. In my town there are many Mexican American men with Maria as their confirmation name. The name is given at app. 12. As to the death certificate; it is a civil document but the confirmation name is at least in California not recognized civilly. Did she lose Hartert name after he died? I thin the death certificate mirrored the birth name. There is a long personal history written and oral that Ernst renamed the bird after his wife and that one of her names was Reinhard. ...

I still doubt Ernst Hartert, even if he himself evangelische (a Protestant), would have written the name Reinarda, if his devoted Catholic wife Claudia truly was (Blessed) Reinhard (of Reinhausen) ... in the name of that particular Saint. Would he really have missed the h? ;)

Regarding the loss of "Hartert"? "In many localities the death records for German and Polish Catholic women recorded only their maiden names" (here).

Well, either way, I'm running out of time.

Claudia is all yours!

Björn

PS. Though if I will follow this thread with great interest, as my MS includes claudiasångare (Claudia's Leaf-Warbler) Phylloscopus claudiae (as mentioned in Post #1) .

I still doubt Ernst Hartert, even if he himself evangelische (a Protestant), would have written the name Reinarda, if his devoted Catholic wife Claudia truly was (Blessed) Reinhard (of Reinhausen) ... in the name of that particular Saint. Would he really have missed the h?

Bjoern,
I have about as little Latin as you, but wouldn't the disappearance of the H and addition of -a at the end be a result of latinization?

Niels

A quick look at this article

Ringleben, H. J Ornithol (1984) 125: 81. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01652941

https://www.deutsche-biographie.de/gnd116490462.html#top

and ancestry.com clears up a few things about Claudia summarised best in Rigleben's paper:

"Der evangelische ERNST HARTERT heiratete im Juli 1891 in Frankfurt/M. die katholische CLAUDIA BERNARDINE ELISABETH ENDRES [SIC], geboren am 21.6. 1863 in Coesfeld/Westf. als Tochter des Oberstleumants JOACHIM ENDRES und seiner Ehefrau ALWlNE geb. BOECKER."

Therefore regarding Claudia:

1) She was not married prior to her marriage to Hartert.
2) Her baptised name was CLAUDIA BERNARDINE ELISABETH ENDRIS.
3) Reinhard or Reinard is not a family name of the ENDRIS family
4) She did not take the name of a saint at confirmation otherwise it would have been on her marriage record.
5) If she took a saints name at any other time it was never officially recorded.
6) On her Dutch death records her given name is CLAUDIA BERNARDINE ELISABETH ENDRIS.

I believe that there is no link between Claudia and the name Reinhard or Reinard. I think the most likely reason for the R in the graves registration is clerical error. I note that the parents names and initials are NOT on the gravestone.

P

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back