• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Who's that duck? (Western Washington) (1 Viewer)

kunzadar

Hi all,

I am having trouble identifying this duck (see photos at link). Here are some details of the sighting.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1fMytWhh9-snGRu-1WkJOLmCd6QWXHgKt?usp=sharing

Where: Wetland pond south of Seattle in the city of Kent Washington

When: 11/2/2019 4:30pm

Features: Brown head with light brown cheeks. Flanks are a creamy brown to gray. Black tail.

Number Spotted Maybe 6 - 12 individuals. They were all mixed in with the other species.

Behavior: Swimming around, I think dabbling not diving but i didn't take notes and i cant remember for sure.

Seen with: Mallards, Coots, American Widgeons, Northern Shovelers

Best Guess: The closest thing I think is a female Redhead. The cheek color looks right, but the smooth colored sides and black tail don't. Maybe it is a female Ruddy duck? But that doesn't seem quite right either.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

kunzadar

Oh interesting, that makes sense. Looking at the females they look much more similar to a mallard female so this would be a Gadwall male.

Thanks to both of you :)

Users who are viewing this thread