• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why are those dang Habicht's so BRIGHT! (1 Viewer)

I have had Habicht's in the past, but I remember the first time I tried the Habicht 8x30 W, and I was in a parking lot looking around with it, and I was just blown away by the bright, transparent image. I said to myself, wow, these things are superb. I had never seen a binocular as bright or as clear before. It was like there was no glass between you and what you were looking at. It is like you magically moved up closer to the object. I had glare problems with the 8x30 W though and the eye cups were too small for my eye sockets, so I eventually sold them, but I have a renewed interest in them now because I have discovered Bino Bandits. Bino Bandits really help reduce glare and eliminate black-outs by allowing me to rest the binoculars on my forehead and against my eye sockets better.
So, is that a yes or a no to "selling it soon"?

Lee

Once again Dennis, the Bino Bandit doesn't help at all with the internal glare you saw when you looked up at the mountain goats and dumped your first 8x30 Habicht the next day. All binoculars are improved when the space between the eyecup and the viewer's head is sealed against lateral light, but the Habichts have no special problem with that kind of glare, in fact less of a problem than your EIIs and the NLs just because those have wider, more exposed eye lenses. The Bino Bandit is acting to reduce lateral light at the eyepiece end (as it would in any binocular), but the more serious glare in the 8x30 Habicht is still there exactly as it was before. You just haven't looked at the mountain goats yet.

As for the 8x30 Habichts being brighter and clearer than other binoculars, they are undeniably bright, but they have relatively high spherical and longitudinal chromatic aberrations and therefore lower measured resolution and a less sharp image than a good copy of the 8x30 EII and many other good binoculars.
I think the glare I was seeing initially in the Habicht's was lateral light because I have used the Habicht's in similar scenarios to viewing the mountain goats and I don't see the glare that I did with the first pair I had using the Bino Bandits, but of course ever bodies eye are different when it comes to the degree of glare we see in different binoculars. It is easy to see you can not objectify glare because everybody has different opinions on how much glare they see in different binoculars on Bird Forum. For example, I saw bad glare in the NL 8x42, but other birders see very little, or it doesn't bother them. I have had all the Habicht's and I have always been impressed with their control of CA both spherical and longitudinal, and to my eyes they are one of the sharpest and most transparent binoculars I have ever experienced on-axis. I have never heard anybody before you call the Habicht's less sharp before, so you are definitely in the minority. Even Roger Vine who is a quite experienced reviewer agrees that the Habicht's are very good at controlling CA and are very sharp on-axis. Maybe you got a bad pair when they made those Habicht 8x30 GA's for you. Here are some of Roger Vine's comments. Holger Merlitz also thought the Habicht's were pretty sharp on-axis and had very little CA. Also, Theo98 from Cloudy Nights thought the Habicht's were sharper than the EII. Of course, there is Tobias from the Greatest Binocular Reviews who thinks the Habicht's are pretty sharp and have pretty good CA control also. Even Best Buy Binoculars reviews think the Habicht's are pretty sharp and have low CA. Herman also thinks the Habicht's are pretty sharp. Giorgio also thought the Habicht's were quite sharp. Stephen B also thought the Habichts were as sharp as the SV and sharper than the Nikon SE.

Roger Vine
"If, like me, you were expecting Swarovski’s ancient, ‘budget’ binoculars to deliver a substandard view, you are in for a shock. The transmission figure quoted by Swarovski for the Habichts – 96% - is the highest of any binoculars that I have ever tested, so you would expect them to have the brightest daytime view (remember, daytime brightness owes little to aperture, because your pupil stops the aperture down to say 20 mm anyway) and they do. The daytime view is astoundingly bright. By comparison, my 10x50 Els - a bright binocular by other standards - seem just a little dimmer and less sparkling. So, the Habichts are extraordinarily bright. But the good stuff doesn’t end there, because they are also amazingly sharp center field, delivering a very detailed and high-resolution, high-contrast view – the equal of any in the center 50% or so. The view is quite wide too, although the quality does drop off towards the edge. What’s more, there is none of that yellow-tint that you get with older porros (even Nikon’s SE's are slightly ‘warm’ to my tastes) – the color balance is cool and neutral. Depth of field and stereoscopic effect are simply excellent. More surprises. Zeiss’ HTs have four elements in their objectives, two of which are special ED glass – all to control false color. These old fashioned Habichts have a simple doublet up front and no ED glass. So you would expect them to be a mess of false color in comparison, but not so. If the Habichts do have a touch more chromatic aberration than the very best HD designs like the HTs, the difference is marginal. For much of the time they seem false-color free, even observing dark plumage amid high branches. To put this in context, false color levels are much lower than the previous generation of premium roofs (like Nikon’s HGs for example). These binoculars live up to the theory that porro-prisms generate fewer spikes and so tighter star images. These have some of the brightest, most pin-point stars I have ever seen in binoculars. One result of this is that they show faint stars extremely well; another is that star colors are very strong. A full Moon generates almost no false color. Sharpness and contrast are top-line too. Chromatic aberration is low and virtually identical(in both the Nikon SE and Habicht).· I fancy the Habichts might be slightly sharper and more contrasty center field(than the Nikon SE), but not by much."

Holger Merlitz
"Image sharpness: Both binoculars offer a perfect sharpness near the central part of the image. The star test delivers almost point-like stars within the innermost 70% of the angle when using the Habicht. The CL Companion displays a wider sweet spot of roughly 80-85% and a superior edge-sharpness. During daytime observations of uncritical targets, the CL appears almost sharp throughout the field, while the Habicht shows a visible blur around the edges of field. Clearly, the CL does have the rather modern (and probably more complex) eyepiece design among the two contenders."

Theo98
"My goal was to directly compare my 1999 Swarovski Habicht 8X30 W GA's to the EIIs. Did this become a "tale of two cities"...not really. Specs, Optics, Mechanics and Ergonomics are closer than I expected! However, in all lighting situations and various venues, the Habichts actually displayed just what phenomenal optics they really are! The swaro porro offered center field sharpness that allowed me to discern greater details in feather textures and bark structures with equal 3D depth, but in a wider sweet spot of clarity (to my eyes, about 90% of FOV). In focus, DOF was slightly greater in the Swaro, allowing me to maintain focus with fewer adjustments. Overall ease-of-view was extremely close, but have to give the nod to the EII. The EII view falls into place immediately vs the swaro, which is brutally sharp and takes a split second later for a relaxed ease-of-view. Shadows, low light performance and color fidelity all appear virtually equal, with the only major difference I could find being waterproof (Swaro) versus non-waterproof (Nikon)."

Tobias
"The center performance of the Habicht is simply as good as it gets. The Swarovision 8x32 is not sharper, contrastier or higher resolving in the center. At daylight, the Habicht´s edge performance is very good, with about 50% of the image looking very sharp. With open pupil, it's probably a bit less, but this is not something which bothers me really. Chromatic aberration is low but sometimes visible, I have no complaints about it (performance is identical to the Nikon 8x32 SE). Coma is present at the edge of the image, but center performance gives you pinpoint stars."

Best Buy Binocular Reviews
"Another special feature(of the Habicht) is the great sharpness at the center of the image. Also, chromatic aberration is quite low."

Herman
"The Habicht has got excellent image quality. The resolution on axis is about as good as it gets. To my eyes I would say it is even better than the Nikon SE, with even more fine detail, for instance in the plumage of Reed Buntings viewed at a range of about 20-30 m. That is no mean feat, considering the optical quality of the Nikon SE. The Nikon is sharp and the Habicht is tack sharp. Even when used with the Zeiss 3x12 tripler the image looks pretty good, although I did not do any formal resolution tests."

Giorgio
"Well, they are way brighter than the Minox 42's, which is a very good point! And, after comparing them mano en la mano, it is clear that the Habichts are sharper, brighter, and the 3d effect is really appearing. The colors are so true, that it totally amazed me."

Stephen B
"The center on axis clarity, brightness and resolution of detail that the Habicht shows does not take ANY back seat to the SV. The main things that jumped out to me on this Habicht was both it's brightness, and it's tack sharp contrast, and it's ability to resolve detail. I am not sure if it may also beat the SV in center field sharpness. I do know that it does not give up anything to the SV in terms of its ability to resolving detail. As I said, it may even be a bit sharper. Foremost, I am really, really impressed with the 8x30 Habicht porro. I did a lot of testing and comparing with it to the Nikon EII and the Swarovski 8x32 SV, and the little Habicht more than holds its own. From a pure optical-clarity, contrast and crispness standpoint, to me it (the Habicht) beats the Nikon EII. I can just bring objects into a more clear-tack sharp focus with the Habicht, when I compared it to the EII. It seemed as if I was trying to move the focus wheel back and forth with the EII to try and achieve as clear and sharp of an image that I achieved with the 8x30 Swaro. But, as much as I tried to get the focus sight picture as sharp with the EII- I could not. At first, I thought I was having trouble focusing (over or under shooting) the EII and just needed to find a better focus; but then I realized it was not a focus issue- it was just that the Habicht was a lot crisper and more sharp. The EII could not quite achieve the tack sharp resolution of detail that I was able to see with the Habicht. I compared these binoculars, both hand held and also strapped to a tripod."

Last edited:
So the Swarovski Habicht 8x30 has comments that it may require a sunshade for both oculars (bino bandit) and objectives (homemade) to make it comfortable to use.
Hardly ideal haptics for a small portable 8x30.
😘

So the Swarovski Habicht 8x30 has comments that it may require a sunshade for both oculars (bino bandit) and objectives (homemade) to make it comfortable to use.
😘
I've spent a bit of time with this model, and I have to say, that 'FOR ME' I feel it's problems are exaggerated.
It is very bright on a dull day, but when I tested it on a sunny day, I was pleasantly surprised that it was no where near as bad as I expected, having read so much negative press, mainly on here.
So much so, that I will buy a Habicht soon, and probably this 8x30 model as my Meoptas are 10x.
If they really were as unusable as some folk say, I'm sure Swarovski would have done something to alleviate the problem. They do have the knowledge and tech to achieve that.
It won't overcome glare like a Zeiss FL for example, or even my Meoptas, which are very good in this regard, but it's really not that bad.
My CL8x25 exhibit some glare in certain situations, but the optical quality, as an overall balance, is just superb, and I feel the same way about the Habicht 8x30...... OVERALL it is fantastic, really something quite special.

Hi Thotmosis (post #11),

I have no idea, but if Dale Forbes of Swarovski reads your post he may choose to clarify the matter.

More generally, even before the air-tight/ waterproof body was introduced in 1984, civilian sales of the IF models were small.
And once there were air-tight CF models, sales would have reduced much more.

Most of the IF models were dropped from the civilian lineup in 1991, with only the RA 7x42B continuing until around 1997
(the B eyepiece was never offered in any other configuration).

Previously there had been sales of a variety of IF models to various militaries, see post #11 and on at:
About The British Military's Binoculars Used In Post War?

Then in 1991 Alpha-Numeric numbering was introduced on all Swarovski product lines, with all the CF Habichts having an A prefix,
and all the IF ones a B prefix.

To give an idea how limited IF sales have been since then, the most recent IF unit for which I’ve observed a serial number
is an 8x30W #B8117 05269. So from April (the 17th week) 2011 (81 + 1930). And it was only the 5,269th unit in 20 years.

Most likely the IF models are produced in batches, but only when there’s a contract for a certain number of units.
Having said that, considering that most of the parts are also used for the CF models, and Swarovski’s flexible production techniques . . . ?

John
Hi John, I have send you a PM.

I agree with that. How does the Leica Duovid 8-12x42 compare with the Leica 8x32 HD for brightness and colors? Habicht's are brighter per aperture size than just about anything.
I ask myself this question a lot. After comparing them on many occasions in different (weather) situations and countries it's really difficult to say honestly. Sometimes, when it's a sunny day i think the little 8x32HD (not plus) is brighter and i think i see more contrast. But then on a cloudy day it's the opposite. Right now, at two o clock on a cloudy day i think that the Duovid -to my eyes- have "warmer" colors but is also a tiny bit dimmer. Anyway for sure it's really amazing what Leica did with this 8x32! Such a bright, sharp image without reflections in a very small compact binocular. After comparing them on my desk today when removed the eyecups, i noticed that he eyepieces on the 8x32 are bigger than on the Duovid, never noticed this before :rolleyes: I like the eyecups of the 8x32 beter than the bigger/ wider ones on the Duovid.I have a small IPD of 58 so eye placement is easier with the smaller ones. Maybe this has an impact on the view? The FOV is smaller in the Duovid maybe relatively sharper then a Leica 8x42 with the same specifications?

😘
But it is worth it for the superb optics and view of the Habicht. The Habicht does have some idiosyncrasies you have to tolerate like a tight focuser, small eye cups and glare under some circumstances but for me the superb view is worth it. I am not saying it is the ideal birding binocular for these reasons, but for the money I feel it give you a view unrivaled by even the alpha roofs.

I've spent a bit of time with this model, and I have to say, that 'FOR ME' I feel it's problems are exaggerated.
It is very bright on a dull day, but when I tested it on a sunny day, I was pleasantly surprised that it was no where near as bad as I expected, having read so much negative press, mainly on here.
So much so, that I will buy a Habicht soon, and probably this 8x30 model as my Meoptas are 10x.
If they really were as unusable as some folk say, I'm sure Swarovski would have done something to alleviate the problem. They do have the knowledge and tech to achieve that.
It won't overcome glare like a Zeiss FL for example, or even my Meoptas, which are very good in this regard, but it's really not that bad.
My CL8x25 exhibit some glare in certain situations, but the optical quality, as an overall balance, is just superb, and I feel the same way about the Habicht 8x30...... OVERALL it is fantastic, really something quite special.
I agree with you. The problems with the Habicht are exaggerated, and the sensational view is well worth putting up with them.

I ask myself this question a lot. After comparing them on many occasions in different (weather) situations and countries it's really difficult to say honestly. Sometimes, when it's a sunny day i think the little 8x32HD (not plus) is brighter and i think i see more contrast. But then on a cloudy day it's the opposite. Right now, at two o clock on a cloudy day i think that the Duovid -to my eyes- have "warmer" colors but is also a tiny bit dimmer. Anyway for sure it's really amazing what Leica did with this 8x32! Such a bright, sharp image without reflections in a very small compact binocular. After comparing them on my desk today when removed the eyecups, i noticed that he eyepieces on the 8x32 are bigger than on the Duovid, never noticed this before :rolleyes: I like the eyecups of the 8x32 beter than the bigger/ wider ones on the Duovid.I have a small IPD of 58 so eye placement is easier with the smaller ones. Maybe this has an impact on the view? The FOV is smaller in the Duovid maybe relatively sharper then a Leica 8x42 with the same specifications?
I have never tried a Duovid. I want to try one sometime. They are pretty pricey, but you have to remember you are actually getting two binoculars in one.

I have never tried a Duovid. I want to try one sometime. They are pretty pricey, but you have to remember you are actually getting two binoculars in one.
Yes give them a try, im curious what you think of them. I got mine for 1200,- euro. Used but in mint condition with box and paperwork etc. If you have patience i think you can find one for 1000,- euro or even less. The 2 magnifications in a compact format are it's main feature. I use both magnifications 50-50. For distant marine traffic and raptors 12x is very handy. Only cons i can think of: focus knob has some play (2mm) and the eyecups are a little bit too big for my eyes. Also i have read that sometimes the mechanism to shift from 8 to 12 gets jammed. If you buy used and don't have guarantee it might be a costly reparation.

So, is that a yes or a no to "selling it soon"?

Lee
No, not unless somebody comes out with a better porro which I doubt. I decided I really like the 3D, immersive view of the porro's. I like the Habicht 8x30W so much, I picked up a Habicht 7x42. Now that one is REALLY bright! They are almost like night vision binoculars! I also have the Nikon E2 8x30 which I like a lot also for their huge FOV.

Yes give them a try, im curious what you think of them. I got mine for 1200,- euro. Used but in mint condition with box and paperwork etc. If you have patience i think you can find one for 1000,- euro or even less. The 2 magnifications in a compact format are it's main feature. I use both magnifications 50-50. For distant marine traffic and raptors 12x is very handy. Only cons i can think of: focus knob has some play (2mm) and the eyecups are a little bit too big for my eyes. Also i have read that sometimes the mechanism to shift from 8 to 12 gets jammed. If you buy used and don't have guarantee it might be a costly reparation.
I have heard the eye cups are large on the Duovids. They look big! Thanks!

Before you sold your Zeiss FL 8x56's for the Habicht's did you ever compare them in the daylight? I was just curious. I would wager that even though the Habicht is 1/2 the size of the FL's you would have preferred the view of the Habicht because it has a bigger FOV and in the daytime it can actually be brighter than a big aperture binocular like the FL 8x56 because it has higher transmission and even though the exit pupil is smaller in the Habicht it is brighter, so the binoculars can seem brighter and the Habicht's also have that high transmission "sparkle" that the FL's just doesn't have. One time I compared a pair of Swarovski SLC HD 8x56's to a Habicht 8x30 W in daylight, and I was blown away by the fact that I PREFERRED the view through the Habicht. The Habicht had a bigger FOV, it appeared brighter, it sparkled, and it had that incredible 3D porro view. I sat there looking at the difference in size between the two binoculars, and I thought it amazing that the Habicht could actually kill that big, heavy SLC. I returned the SLC 8x56 the next day.

Before you sold your Zeiss FL 8x56's for the Habicht's did you ever compare them in the daylight? I was just curious. I would wager that even though the Habicht is 1/2 the size of the FL's you would have preferred the view of the Habicht because it has a bigger FOV and in the daytime it can actually be brighter than a big aperture binocular like the FL 8x56 because it has higher transmission and even though the exit pupil is smaller in the Habicht it is brighter, so the binoculars can seem brighter and the Habicht's also have that high transmission "sparkle" that the FL's just doesn't have. One time I compared a pair of Swarovski SLC HD 8x56's to a Habicht 8x30 W in daylight, and I was blown away by the fact that I PREFERRED the view through the Habicht. The Habicht had a bigger FOV, it appeared brighter, it sparkled, and it had that incredible 3D porro view. I sat there looking at the difference in size between the two binoculars, and I thought it amazing that the Habicht could actually kill that big, heavy SLC. I returned the SLC 8x56 the next day.
I did test the Habicht whilst I had the Zeiss, but not side by side.
Both very bright, superb optics, but that Habicht does surprise you with its view, whereas the FLs kinda do what you expect..... which is very good indeed.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back