• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why are those dang Habicht's so BRIGHT! (1 Viewer)

Are you happy with the Dialyt scope?
Hi Dyrlege! Of topic but it’s a crazy tread anyway, so a short reply doesn’t harm anyone ;)Yes, I’m happy with the Dialyt but don’t use it as much as i thought i would. My idea was to use it for hiking in combination with my Leica 8x32 but find it too big to carry with me most of the time. Build like a tank, optically good but certainly not the very best. I wish they made a smaller version of it with a fixed eyepiece, like a 17 or 20x50. I use an old retractable scope now for hiking, forgot the brand, with 17-45x50 zoom.

Last edited:
On one hand, two of Dennis' more recent observations:
My Habicht 7x42 is my "Zombie Apocalypse" binocular. It has a narrow FOV but with 96% transmission there is NOTHING brighter in the daytime or in low light. It is the only binocular I have ever seen that seems like it has a built-in light source inside of it.
"And I love the view (maybe I'm just not very discerning)."

You're not alone! The Habicht view always WOWS me when I come back to it from using a roof prism. Nothing has that high transmission sparkle and 3D image like a Habicht. Dang, those Habichts are bright!

And yet so soon after:
They're now for sale: Swarovski Habicht 7x42 Binoculars | eBay

🤷‍♂️
John

On one hand, two of Dennis' more recent observations:

And yet so soon after:
They're now for sale: Swarovski Habicht 7x42 Binoculars | eBay

🤷‍♂️
John
Yes, I am always trying 7x, but I always go back to 8x. I have tried a lot of 7x's and I like the DOF and steady view, but I personally can't see as much detail as 8x. I prefer the higher magnification. If you like 7x, the Habicht 7x42 is still one of the brightest binoculars you can buy. Just because I am selling them doesn't diminish their value. It is just personal preference. You must have a lot of spare time to watch eBay to see who is selling their binoculars. I don't really care, nor do I think it is any of my business if somebody sells whatever binocular. Many members praise different binoculars on Bird Forum, and then I see them in the classified. People change their mind, or they want to try something else, so there can be a million different reasons somebody sells a binocular. Maybe I am trying to raise money for the new SFL. Who knows!

But at a very optimistic price, about 45 GBP above retail in Norway!
They get more for the Habicht on this side of the pond. On eBay, Adorama wants $1200 and has sold 2 pairs at that price.

They get more for the Habicht on this side of the pond. On eBay, Adorama wants $1200 and has sold 2 pairs at that price.

This could look like a business opportunity. I knew Norway was reasonably priced wrt optics and cameras... Or: ONLY wrt optics and cameras 😰

Shall we call it a day then.... the OP is selling the very binos we are discussing, and nothing wrong with that, but it kinda draws it to a natural close.
Also, to answer the original question, which was posted when Stonehenge was being built... it's because they are a simple optical design.... but everyone knew that.
I'm off...🙂 it's been fun though👍

Hi Lee (post #408),

On a forum such as this we’re all going to be open to trying different binoculars. But in less than a week Dennis goes from enthusiasm
for something that he sees as unequalled, to listing it for sale!

John

Hi Dennis (post #404),

So just to be clear, since you seem to have excluded the 8x30 Habicht, what you’re now after is:
a dimmer binocular, that WOWS you less, and that will cost you considerably more?

John

There glare monsters and I’m buying his SFL’s when they go up for sale. Seriously, there are many reasons for selling binoculars we really like and praise, we all know that. The Habicht’s, especially in 7x42 is a unique breed if not an anomaly. If you want or need night time binoculars that cuts through the night with the slightest street lighting or even a full moon on a boat looking for buoys, the Habicht’s 742 is the tool.

As far as selling them, being that special unique tool that it is, it becomes or is less of an everyday all-around optic. Many of us own a ridiculous amount of binoculars (whatever that number is) and hang on to them. Others use them for a while then sell them off and try or ad something else to the collection, knowing we could always buy them again if we wanted.

If you have the money and or can justify owning binoculars you rarely use, and in this case a specialty optic in my opinion then great. I have binoculars I don’t use for a while, then I go back to them and they’re like new again. I guess samething could be said to just buy them again. Sometimes the buying and selling can be fun as well. Just my take on it.

Paul

Last edited:
Far too soon to let it go, I mean, we may have to wait a couple of months till the next time.

RIP my old faithful

Dang, those habichts, so bright,
(for a while)
Dazzling their light shone,
(a little while)
Glarey monsterish even,
(for a short while)
Ah, glistening sunset,
(we basked awhile).

Dawn breaks, breaking bad?
Sunrise shining anew,
Illuminating a new
Fad

Hi Dennis (post #404),

So just to be clear, since you seem to have excluded the 8x30 Habicht, what you’re now after is:
a dimmer binocular, that WOWS you less, and that will cost you considerably more?

John
The Habicht 8x30 is not much dimmer than the Habicht 7x42 in the daytime. It still has 95% transmission and a 4 mm exit pupil, which works as good as 6 mm in the daytime. I prefer the 8x magnification overall for more detail and the bigger FOV of the 8x30.

Far too soon to let it go, I mean, we may have to wait a couple of months till the next time.

RIP my old faithful

Dang, those habichts, so bright,
(for a while)
Dazzling their light shone,
(a little while)
Glarey monsterish even,
(for a short while)
Ah, glistening sunset,
(we basked awhile).

Dawn breaks, breaking bad?
Sunrise shining anew,
Illuminating a new
Fad
I still have the Habicht 8x30, at least for now. So all is not lost. So don't be sad, all is not forgotten. Nice poem!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back