• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Why can't Swarovski get a little thing right? NL Objective cover issues. (2 Viewers)

Gijs van Ginkel

BabyDov,
I have mentioned that before: when we were in the desert or other sandy areas like beaches, I use a nylon bag to protect all parts of the binocular: weight is almost nothing, it can be removed very quickly and stored as a very small package and the binocular (or camera) is very well protected against sand etc..
Older binoculars never had objective covers. Eye piece protection is another story: that is in my opinion essential.
The wide straps binocular companies supply nowadays can be very convenient, but they also never are used in my case. Instead I use much more flexibble and less wide camera straps. So everybody has his/her own taste.
Gijs van Ginkel

rpg51

Supporter
Speaking of eye piece covers, personally I like the NL Pure eye piece covers. They are snug, true. In my opinion that is a good thing. These are the first binos I have owned where the eye piece cover can stay attached to my strap, doesn't fall off the eyepieces inadvertently, and stays out of the way when I pull it off the eye pieces. I attach it to the strap on one side and it just falls off to the side out of the way when I pull it off the eye pieces. Works really well.

PeterPS

I only use them when I’m cycling to prevent any dirt flicking up onto the objectives.
I believe that hunters often use objective caps but not many birders do, however the hunting sector seems to be a large part of Swaro market, which could be the main reason the FP package got the integrated caps.

Hermann

I have mentioned that before: when we were in the desert or other sandy areas like beaches, I use a nylon bag to protect all parts of the binocular: weight is almost nothing, it can be removed very quickly and stored as a very small package and the binocular (or camera) is very well protected against sand etc..
Older binoculars never had objective covers. Eye piece protection is another story: that is in my opinion essential.
Agreed. Objective covers aren't all that useful IMO, and in many situations a nuisance. A decent raincover for the eyepieces is, however, essential. My issue with many modern raincovers is that they don't really work if you've got a large IPD. I still tend to use the old Zeiss covers instead of the modern contraptions.
The wide straps binocular companies supply nowadays can be very convenient, but they also never are used in my case. Instead I use much more flexibble and less wide camera straps. So everybody has his/her own taste.
Most of the modern straps are indeed nicely cushioned and very wide - that works for me in the winter, but not in the summer, especially not if they're made of neoprene. Too warm, far too warm.

Hermann

NoSpringChicken

United Kingdom
I fitted winged eyecups to my 8x32 EL and that involved replacing the original rain guard with the new style one, which is quite a loose fit. When I was using the original rain guard I never fitted it tightly while I was out looking for birds but located it over the eyecups and pressed it down a millimetre or so. It was grippy enough to stay in place and could be flicked off quickly when required.

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread