• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why did my chickadees leave? (1 Viewer)

coltrv

Earlier this spring, I put up some chickadee birdhouses in my yard. Lots of chickadees stopped by to check them out, but they never moved in. As it got later and later into the year, I began to lose hope that I would get any chickadees this season. I read online that chickadees usually nest around April or May. Once June arrived, I accepted the fact that I was unlucky this year, but maybe next year. However, on June 19th, I was pleasantly surprised to see a pair of chickadees flitting in and out of the birdhouse. They would go to a mossy tree in my yard and grab beakfuls of moss and take it back into the birdhouse. They did this all day. The next day I was eager to watch them build their nest further, but they never returned. I haven't seen them since. I looked in the birdhouse and there was lots of moss in the vague shape of a nest. It doesn't make sense to me that they would spend all day building a nest, only to disappear the next day out of the blue. Does anyone know of any possible reasons why the chickadees stopped building their nest halfway through?

Last edited:
It's quite possible that they were aware of you viewing close to the nest box and that turned them away. Hopefully you'll have better luck and I've had them nest as late as July so be patient ;)

It's quite possible that they were aware of you viewing close to the nest box and that turned them away. Hopefully you'll have better luck and I've had them nest as late as July so be patient ;)
That’s probably why they left, however they didn’t seem too bothered by me being there and continued to build the nest even after I left.

What should I do with the moss that the previous chickadees left inside? If I leave it in the birdhouse, will it be more enticing to chickadees, or should I take the moss out so that the chickadees don’t think the birdhouse is already occupied?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back