• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why do anhingas soar? (1 Viewer)

DuckNorris

United States
Can anybody give an explanation why anhingas soar?

I live in South Florida not far from the Everglades.

I've been working from home since Covid. I take "binocular breaks" in which I go out in my yard and stand under a shade tree with bins and look around for a few minutes a few times a day.

I look up for soaring birds and flyovers, and I think I am more likely to see an anhinga, or two, or three, way up there soaring around than anything else (e.g. black vultures).

Are the anhingas maybe scanning the lakes and canals below for fish? Do they have some other purpose for this activity?

You made me curious, but even Cornell Lab of Ornithology ( www.all about birds.com ) didn’t say. Maybe they just enjoy it, and it does save them energy.

Hi,

Are the anhingas maybe scanning the lakes and canals below for fish? Do they have some other purpose for this activity?

I don't know about Aninghas, but generally, birds capable of exploiting thermal updrafts for soaring tend to go much higher than usual when travelling longer distances. They circle up, then change their wing shape and depart in straight and fairly fast flight. If that's part of what you're seeing, I'd say your Aninghas are going to someplace that's not in your immediate vicinity.

Regards,

Henning

Hi,

I don't know about Aninghas, but generally, birds capable of exploiting thermal updrafts for soaring tend to go much higher than usual when travelling longer distances. They circle up, then change their wing shape and depart in straight and fairly fast flight. If that's part of what you're seeing, I'd say your Aninghas are going to someplace that's not in your immediate vicinity.

Regards,

Henning
Usually I lose sight of them while they're still soaring, but I have seen them take off in a straight line going fast like that.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back