• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why do doves and blackbirds hate magpies (1 Viewer)

marcia A

The collared doves in my garden seem to have an active vendetta against the local Magpies. :eek!:

I felt quite sorry for the magpie the other day - a pair of c doves obviously took a dislike to this poor bird and continuously chased it round and round the garden not giving it a moments peace. In the end the magpie was chased away by a stroppy male blackbird who also took a dislike to it. Is this because the doves and blackbirds are afraid that the magpie may take their eggs and young or is it a territorial thing.:eek!: You would think that a bird as big as a magpie would stand up for itself being almost twice the size of its chasers.:bounce:

Has anyone else noticed similar behaviour?

The collared doves in my garden seem to have an active vendetta against the local Magpies. :eek!:

I felt quite sorry for the magpie the other day - a pair of c doves obviously took a dislike to this poor bird and continuously chased it round and round the garden not giving it a moments peace. In the end the magpie was chased away by a stroppy male blackbird who also took a dislike to it. Is this because the doves and blackbirds are afraid that the magpie may take their eggs and young or is it a territorial thing.:eek!: You would think that a bird as big as a magpie would stand up for itself being almost twice the size of its chasers.:bounce:

Has anyone else noticed similar behaviour?

Cos they steal their eggs and chicks and eat them.

It's a very common thing for Blackbirds, Collared Doves etc to chase off Magpies. The simple reason is that they are a predator and will without hesitation take any chicks and eggs out of the nests.

Just to add to what Dave said:

Magpies are also opportunistic predators, they will attack fledglings as well as adults (especially sick adults). Magpies are also quite devious, they can be innocently eating near other birds then suddenly attack the nearest bird.

I like Magpies (in fact all Corvids), but you can't trust them to play nice with other birds.|=)|

Incidentally, I posted elsewhere that one of the Collard Doves in my garden keeps harassing Magpies. I also noted that I thought the Collard Dove seemed to be throwing caution to the wind; I was very surprised the Magpie stood for it.

This is still happening across local back gardens today, in mid September. Surely all eggs have hatched by now and fledglings have grow up sufficiently to protect themselves, but the animosity continues!

I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Collared Doves will breed all year round.
Thanks, that makes perfect sense. We have a lot of collared doves in our back gardens, as there are plenty of trees for them to nest in, and their numbers have increased over the last 10-20 years!

We are also within walking distance to the Lodmoor reserve and often see/hear large flocks of swans and geese transiting between The Fleet and/or Radipole reserve to breakfast at Lodmoor.

I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)
Thanks for welcoming me into the flock. An excellent find from a Google search for answers for my grandchildren's observations last weekend!

My local Magpies hang around in groups of up to 10, they fish out and eat a lot of newly-fledged youngsters of anything up to Wood Pigeon size. They are as dangerous to Blackbirds and Collared Doves as Sparrowhawks are, but they linger around persistently waiting for young birds to emerge from the nest.

This is still happening across local back gardens today, in mid September. Surely all eggs have hatched by now and fledglings have grow up sufficiently to protect themselves, but the animosity continues!
It is a deeply ingrained instinct, not something they turn on and off and I think collared Doves breed pretty much year round anyway!!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back