• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why Leica’s 7x42 over Leica’s 8x42 and the perfect Binocular. (1 Viewer)

casscade

So why is it so many like the 7x over the Leica 8x. Is the image in the 7x just a better designed than the 8x, is dof, contrast, and ease of view that much better over the 8x? I have limited experience with Leica 8’s but tons with their 7’s and 10’s. The 8s gave a better apparent fov but the 7’s tend to get a lot more praise.

As to the perfect binocular, imo it would be to keep the view of the 7x Leica but increase the fov with a 65-70 apparent fov. If they could keep all else equal and increase fov to say SF/NL levels it would be the best all around binocular ever made imo.

The wow effect they have now is already incredible for such an old design, now add that view with a 65-70 apparent and you have the perfect binocular in terms of size, weight, brightness, ease of view, dof, and contrast, wow effect, resolution, the list is long. The only thing it would lack is power, now if Leica would only grant that wish lol.

Leica is usually praised by it's lovely saturated colors and contrasty image, and the 7x adds to that an extra punch of more depth of field (a sort of enhanced sense of space, if you allow me to say so). So you have a very pleasing view spiced up with some extra pepper, maybe that's one of the reasons and obviously there's the more stable view of lower magnification.

As for your desire for more FOV, well if both a 7x and an 8x share a similar 8º FOV, then the 7x is going to feel less immersive... so there's not a lot of choice around, maybe an FL or a Dialyt can be the only way to get that on that level of performance (there are 7x with wider FOV in lower steps of the price ladder; from the Nikon 7x35 AE to things like Celestron Granite 7x33 or Zen Ray 7x36). If you ask me, I had the Ultravid HD and the FL and after a lot of side by side testing, when the hour came to sell one... it was really very difficult, but I sold the Leica and kept the FL. I guess FOV had something to do with it, but also the enhanced sense of brightness of the FL. However, oddly as it might sound, I found the 7x42 UVHD to be more "perfect" than the 7x42 FL. It's hard to explain, but the UVHD felt more compact, with better ergonomics and there was absolutely nothing to criticize, no flaw. To my eyes, the FL had the edge on FOV, brightness and the sense of "pop" (this vague idea of sharpness and spatial impression), so I kept it, while I was fully aware that it felt more bulky and I found a ring of light on the outer edge a bit annoying, but I simply preferred the view.

As a side note, just guessing here, but I think one (silly) reason that Leica UV 7x42 get so much praise is that Leica is one of the few top brands to still offer a 7x (Zeiss is out, and so are Swarovski and Nikon). Although the BA/BN do also get a lot of praise, and back in its time it did had some competition from Swaro, Zeiss, etc.

I am want an easy view more than an immersive view, and
my binoculars with an AFOV in the 60s are a bit fiddly when it comes to setting the eye cups. It’s more difficult to find a position that provides enough eye relief while also allowing me to see the full FOV, so I am interested in trying the 7x42 because it provides an 8* TFOV with an AFOV in the 50s.

This binocular also offers low magnification, wide exit pupils, and long eye relief (for a Leica anyway) that are the other principal factors that I believe contribute to an easy view. I am hoping that this 7x binocular approaches the easy view of a 7x50 in the 42mm roof form factor.

Last edited:
As to the perfect binocular, imo it would be to keep the view of the 7x Leica but increase the fov with a 65-70 apparent fov. If they could keep all else equal and increase fov to say SF/NL levels it would be the best all around binocular ever made imo.
Hello,

Due to the design, the 7x42 parameters do not allow for too large fields of view!
The FL with 150 / 1000m. is already at the limit of what is feasible, but Imho you get some optical restrictions that are not available in the Leica.
The Leica has a relatively large field of view for a 7x42, other competitors are much weaker than that, just think of that Habicht.
The Leica 7x42 is good as it is, a large field of view is just one of many criteria and is often overrated.;)

Andreas

Love the 7x42 view, probably my favorite Leica view, that said I have no experience with the leica 8x42. Is the Leica 8x42 view as immersive and easy as the 7x42, I guess was my question. I’me sure the noctovid 8x is great but in the UV line it seems the 7x usually gets the nod/praise.

Love the 7x42 view, probably my favorite Leica view, that said I have no experience with the leica 8x42. Is the Leica 8x42 view as immersive and easy as the 7x42, I guess was my question. I’me sure the noctovid 8x is great but in the UV line it seems the 7x usually gets the nod/praise.
I think one of the reasons is that it simply has less glass and therefore less coated surfaces. I'm sure that contributes to it's wonderfully clear view.

My 7x42 UVHD+s are one of my favorite pairs of binoculars I've ever used. I think it is simple: they are Ultravids and they are 7s.
I'm sure the 8s are nice too.

Leica is usually praised by it's lovely saturated colors and contrasty image, and the 7x adds to that an extra punch of more depth of field (a sort of enhanced sense of space, if you allow me to say so). So you have a very pleasing view spiced up with some extra pepper, maybe that's one of the reasons and obviously there's the more stable view of lower magnification.
That‘s nicely said.

I’d also add the big 6mm exit pupil bathes ones eyes in light in a way that, as the old preacher said, “is better felt than telt.” Not everything can be quantified, it must be experienced.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back