• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why Pana GH8 vs Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II (1 Viewer)

Roy_H

I did some digiscoping back when the Nikon P4500 was the rage but sadly moved to the heavier Canon Teles and equipment.

I am now looking at decreasing the weight load for normal shooting and trying digiscoping with new equipment. I have the Swaro ATX 85 and see most winners as Neil points out in another thread are using the Pana GH8 and the Digiadapter. But the OM5 II as a camera (outside of the digiscope application and 4K video) seems to be the better camera, has more lenses like the newer 300mm, and still takes the 20mm Pana/Leica pancake lens. Nevertheless I dont see very many people posting with this setup. Why is that?

Is focus peeking better? Is it easier to shoot in 4K video and extract stills, or ???

Any help with this purchase would be greatly appreciated.

I've been using using the OM10 (lighter than OM5) for a year and a half and works fine with ATX85. Have you considered it?

I did some digiscoping back when the Nikon P4500 was the rage but sadly moved to the heavier Canon Teles and equipment.

I am now looking at decreasing the weight load for normal shooting and trying digiscoping with new equipment. I have the Swaro ATX 85 and see most winners as Neil points out in another thread are using the Pana GH8 and the Digiadapter. But the OM5 II as a camera (outside of the digiscope application and 4K video) seems to be the better camera, has more lenses like the newer 300mm, and still takes the 20mm Pana/Leica pancake lens. Nevertheless I dont see very many people posting with this setup. Why is that?

Is focus peeking better? Is it easier to shoot in 4K video and extract stills, or ???

Roy,
You've got some good choices out there at the moment. The newest "best choice" is the Sony ILCE 6300. Bigger sensor, better Focus Peaking and better noise handling than the Micro Four Thirds cameras. Image-wise results are good from all cameras. I haven't used the Olympus cameras but they have a good reputation except for the video.
Lens should be the Sigma 30/2.8.
Neil.

Roy, I believe you are trying to mention the GX8, not the GH8 (they have not even released the GH5 yet!)

Anyway, the "has more lenses" statement is only true if you include in-lens stabilization in the basis, otherwise the lenses are exactly the same for oly and pana. When you talk about digiscoping, I cannot see how the lens difference comes into play.

Have you considered using either the new Oly 300F4 or the pana-leica 100-400 lens with a camera from either oly or pana? It sounds like you may actually be considering these cameras without a telescope but with a lens in some of your sentences, that is why I ask.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back