• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild in Aberdeen - City and Shire (4 Viewers)

Oooh!!! Well done Jimmy. Super pictures to get of a Lifer - many congratulations laddie.

Any tips on where is best around Portsoy-Fraserburgh area for Black Guillemot? Also if Findlater Castle is the likeliest spot in the Portsoy area for White Billed Diver. Anything else around in the northeast corner of Aberdeenshire (from Aberdeen to Portsoy) of interest? Heading up that way tomorrow but want to maximise the opportunity so any help very welcome. Thanks in advance.

Any tips on where is best around Portsoy-Fraserburgh area for Black Guillemot? Also if Findlater Castle is the likeliest spot in the Portsoy area for White Billed Diver. Anything else around in the northeast corner of Aberdeenshire (from Aberdeen to Portsoy) of interest? Heading up that way tomorrow but want to maximise the opportunity so any help very welcome. Thanks in advance.

Not too sure on the Portsoy stuff (though I think Black Guillemot is reasonably common on that coast). There's been Spoonbill and Green-winged Teal at Strathbeg and King Eider on the Ythan recently, so those are probably worth looking for.

Troup Head for the Gannets and Auks,Is worth a visit Barry and you may be lucky and pick out a Black Guilliemot on the water below.

"Elvis" the King Eider was on form this morning on the Ythan,trying to "woo" the female Common Eiders but none really looked "all shook up".A single Whimbrel and summer plumaged Dunlin were about the best of the waders.As I am getting older,I tend to reminisce and compared to when I first started visiting the Ythan In the 1970s,the number of Terns seem to have risen but the Common Eider have dropped largely In numbers.Perhaps the years have clouded my judgement. |8||

The city centre Peregrine's breeding has been a success this year again.Adults and young now flying/screeching around for a few days now.

Ythan Trip report

Good afternoon,

My name's Pete and this is my first post to this section. I'm new to birding, but really enjoying it. I live in Kintore but i'm spending a lot of time on the Ythan, and find the variety and volume of birds there really useful for getting my eye in to all the different waders.

I had a great morning on the Ythan Estuary and surrounding area today, probably my best to date. I was fortunate to catch up with the Cranes at Collision crossroads, Greenshank, Little Egret, Spotted Redshank, Black tailed Godwit, Ruff, Golden Plover, Ringed Plovers and the other usual waders.

I've attached a few pictures from today.

Cheers

Pete

Attachments

• IMG_2209.jpeg
    IMG_2209.jpeg
    482.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2084.jpg
    IMG_2084.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2201.jpg
    IMG_2201.jpg
    621 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2160.jpeg
    IMG_2160.jpeg
    373.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2157.jpeg
    IMG_2157.jpeg
    356.6 KB · Views: 81
Good afternoon,

My name's Pete and this is my first post to this section. I'm new to birding, but really enjoying it. I live in Kintore but i'm spending a lot of time on the Ythan, and find the variety and volume of birds there really useful for getting my eye in to all the different waders.

I had a great morning on the Ythan Estuary and surrounding area today, probably my best to date. I was fortunate to catch up with the Cranes at Collision crossroads, Greenshank, Little Egret, Spotted Redshank, Black tailed Godwit, Ruff, Golden Plover, Ringed Plovers and the other usual waders.

I've attached a few pictures from today.

Cheers

Pete

Cor, those Cranes are nice. Where is Collision Crossroads?!!

John

If drivers get distracted by the Cranes, it could easily become Collision Crossroads! But, I suspect it's Collieston Crossroads.

I've not seen anything as good as Pete lately, though I did see my first Pink-footed Geese of the autumn yesterday evening - around 90 flying almost straight up Union Street in the centre of Aberdeen.

I've spent the last three days wandering through the hills in front of or behind a Duke of Edinburgh group, making sure that they didn't manage to injure themselves or get too lost. Despite carrying all of our kit and food for the time we're out, I always accept the extra weight of a set of good binoculars so that I can use them to a) find out how the group is progressing, b) spot the deer in the hills and c) watch the birds.
Today we had a relatively short walk round the back side of the Cairn O'Mount from Glen Dye to the Clatterin Brig and saw, amongst the meadow pipits, grouse and partridge, numerous raptors. Kestrel, sparrowhawk, red kite, buzzard and a rough legged buzzard. That last one is a new one for me, but I watched it for around 2 minutes and saw it from above, side view and below. A great day out in the hills.

Loch of Skene area, a nice flock of finches round the back of the loch, advised to me whilst down the loch yesterday and still there about 2 hours later so may still be around today, circa 50-100 including Chaffinch, Yellowhammer, Reed Bunting, Brambling, a few Tree Sparrow around as well. NJ 77020 07106

Attachments

• 115_001.jpg
    115_001.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 115_002.jpg
    115_002.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 40
  • 115_003.jpg
    115_003.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 43
That was a grand outing you had yesterday Jimmy.... it must have been lovely to see so many assorted finches.

May I wish you and your family a very happy 2019.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back