• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Wildfowl and Waders in Zapata Cuba December (1 Viewer)

hindleygreener

Saw these in Zapata this week all at very long distance.

I was told the duck where Blue Winged Teal could anyone pick out anything to confirm

The waders are the first Grey Plover? Are the others Dowitchers

b1.JPG B2.JPG C1.JPG C2.JPG C3.JPG C4.JPG

lgonz1008

United States
From what I could ID, American Flamingo, Blue-winged Teal, Black-bellied Plover (Grey Plover), Ruddy Turnstone, Caspian Tern, Royal Tern, American White Pelican, Short-billed Dowitcher (they are fine in any shallow water habitat, while Long-billed prefer freshwater only in the wintering grounds)

Andy Adcock

England
From what I could ID, American Flamingo, Blue-winged Teal, Black-bellied Plover (Grey Plover), Ruddy Turnstone, Caspian Tern, Royal Tern, American White Pelican, Short-billed Dowitcher (they are fine in any shallow water habitat, while Long-billed prefer freshwater only in the wintering grounds)
What can you see on these blobs that confirm this?

lgonz1008

United States
What can you see on these blobs that confirm this?
Location and time of year help narrow down the potential species to Teal, Shoveler and Wigeon with Teal being the only guaranteed, common winter resident. Alongside that, none of the ones I could ID have the large bill of Shoveler which erases that possibility and the few field marks I could get besides time of year and habitat came that some birds showed white around the base of the bill which is commonly seen in the females and immature males of the Teal, I'm not saying they are the only duck there, but from the ones I could ID, Teal was the only option I saw.

hindleygreener

Thanks i was with a Guide who said mainly Blue Winged Real but they where a long way away into haze so just hoped someone might have picked up something. Thanks for comments

Users who are viewing this thread